CHAPTER 28

Hungry Eyes – Eric Carmen

FAYE

Seb had a plan to do a different activity every day of the week. He intended to spend a week trying new things with me, and I accepted. For example, we went to the theme park yesterday and the shooting range the day before. Compared to my terrible shooting skills, Seb managed to surprise me every time by hitting right on target. Okay, maybe I was shooting badly on purpose so Seb could come and fix my stance, but he was really good at it.

According to Seb's plan, we were going to go to the anger room tomorrow because he was thinking that I kept treat him badly because I couldn't get out the anger inside me. His plan for the next day was to play laser tag, the next one was open-air cinema, and the list goes on and on. Our reason for meeting today was karaoke.

Of course, none of these were happening under the name of a date. He knew we were seeing each other as friends because even though I wanted to try a relationship with him, I still hadn't healed the wounds of my last relationship.

He picked me up after work with his motorcycle and brought me to a Karaoke Club on Berwick Street. He did not give me a say in the venue selection and claimed that he knew the best place.

We parked the bike and decided to walk the remaining short distance. "No," I said, shaking my head firmly. "The best David Bowie song is Heroes."

"When there is a masterpiece called Let's Dance? I can't believe I'm going to karaoke with someone who has such taste in music."

Today he wore a white shirt over black jeans. The first few buttons of his shirt were open and the sleeves were folded. He didn't have a coat on, but he wasn't cold because the weather was surprisingly not cold today.

"What makes Let's Dance so good?" I asked.

"Let's dance," he muttered, starting to dance lightly as he walked. "For fear your grace should fall." He was swaying calmly in the middle of the street without paying attention to anyone, looking at me and singing the chorus of the song.

I shrugged. "It's fun, but there isn't much-" In the middle of my sentence I tripped over a rock and fell to my knees.

Seb immediately stopped dancing and leaned over next to me. I thought he would laugh because I fell, but there was nothing left of his previous amusement on his face.

"Are you okay?" he asked, eyes wide with concern.

"I'm fine." He held my arm and helped me stand up.

"Your leg is bleeding," he said. I looked at my knee. It hurt a little, but it was nothing to exaggerate. The only thing I was upset about was that my pantyhose were torn.

"My pantyhose's ruined," I said disappointedly. My combination today was very nice though. I wore a white turtleneck over my black skirt and an oversized jacket over it. This jacket was a gift that Skye paid a fortune for, and I loved it. Did every pantyhose I wear have to be torn the day I wore it?

Seb didn't seem to care about my pantyhose. "Your leg is bleeding," he said, as if that was what I needed to focus on. "I'll go get a band-aid. Wait here," he said and went to the nearest market without giving me a chance to object.

He had been beaten to death just a few days ago and he didn't care, but he was good at making a tiny scratch on my leg a big deal.

While I was waiting for him, I jumped up and sat on one of the slightly high walls on the edge of the sidewalk. Seb left the market within a few minutes and looked around with concern when he didn't see me where he last left me. I waved my hand and made him see me.