CHAPTER 12

FAYE

"Hi, blondie," Sebastian said when I opened the phone.

I was afraid Tom would understand who was calling me. I shouldn't. He probably wouldn't care. But I know he didn't like Sebastian and I didn't want this to be a problem.

"What's up?" I asked him. I was just outside the room and I could see Margaret was listening me.

"Nothing," he said. I could hear people's voices on the street, he was probably outside. "Can't I just call you to hear your voice?" he asked. I could see him smirking over the phone.

I rolled my eyes. "No, you can't. What do you want? I'm busy."

He huffed over the phone and asked me what supplies he should get for his portrait. I told him some of the things I don't have at home. I was going to use my brushes but I needed new paints, a tuval and an easel to keep it in his place.

"Done," he said. I heard him type the list on his phone.

"Okay then, see you later," I said. I wanted to go back inside.

"Wait," he stopped me before I hang up the phone. "How are you?"

"Good, you?"

"Great, as usual." The playful tone was gone and replaced with a calmer one. "We couldn't talk after that night. Are you sure you're okay?

I didn't want to talk about that night. Both because of the bad memories and because of the guilt of my closeness with Sebastian.

I glanced at Margaret. Her eyes were on the files on her desk, but it was obvious she wasn't reading them.

"I am. I don't even remember that night much. It's all blurry." It was a lie though.

"So you don't remember me and Skye having a dance contest?" Margaret looked at me when I laughed.

"I can't believe I don't remember this," I said. "Who won?"

"Me, of course."

"There is no way you can beat her in a dance contest."

"Well," he started saying something but I haven't heard him when I saw Andy leaving Tom's room. I tried to hide my smile when I saw him.

"I got to go. I'll call you later," I said and I hung up the phone.

Andy looked nervous as he looked at me. "I have work to do," he said. "I'll see you later." He gave me a forced smile. I've heard Tom'a voice in the room while I was on the phone. Was something wrong?

I caught Margaret watching me as Andy left. I gave her a short look and opened Tom's door without knocking.

"I want to know everyhing," Tom told someone on the phone. He hung up when he saw me walk in. I closed the door behind me.

"I'm done here," he said. "We can leave." His look was cold just like his tone. Something had happened apparaently but I didn't ask.

He walked past me and opened the door. He kept the door open for me but he walked so fast after it I almost had to run to catch him. I didn't understand why we left like this, when we came here holding hands.

There was an awkward silence when we got into the elevator. Tom' eyebrows were knitted and he was breathing through his nose.

What made him so angry all of a sudden? He wasn't even looking at me. I have never seen him angry before and I was feeling like he didn't want me around him right now. Like he was going to become someone else when he's angry and won't want me anymore.