CHAPTER 22

FAYE

It took me a few seconds to realize that the tickling feeling I felt on my face was lips touching my skin. Last night, I went to my room and cried like crazy, and fell asleep with the weight of tears in my eyes. I can't remember having a worse sleep and waking up feeling worse.

I opened my eyes slightly and realized that there was someone lying next to me and stroking my hair.

"Good morning," Tom said.

I fought the urge to snuggle up to him and continue my sleep. It was always so easy to give in to him, but the intense emotions I felt after what happened with Seb last night were holding me back.

Without saying anything, I rolled over onto my back and turned my face to the ceiling. Although he was upset by this move, he didn't react. "Faye," he said. It was more like a question.

"Yes?"

His fingers slid back into the hair surrounding my face. "I bought you a new phone," he said, and I turned to him.

He turned his back slightly and handed me the phone box on the nightstand. I sat up a little in bed and took the box from his hand.

"I broke your phone, I'm sorry," he said.

"You didn't have to."

"I did. It was my fault."

I wasn't sure if he was only talking about the phone. There could be an another meaning underneath this, but it was Tom. For a man who always played his cards face to face, it shouldn't have been difficult to apologize for something he actually felt guilty about.

"Open it," he said so I opened it. It looked like someone else had already opened it before me. Maybe Tom did to see if anything was wrong with it.

It was the highest model among the latest iPhone models. My previous phone wasn't too bad, but I never tried to buy the best model.

"Thank you," I said but why was I thanking him? He was right, he was the one who broke my phone. A man like him should be earning its worth per minute anyway.

Tom reached up and kissed my arm. I saw his eyes move to my wrists again, but he didn't seem to be looking at my throat on purpose. I took off the cardigan before going to bed, but it was waiting by my bedside in case one of the girls came into my room.

When Tom said he was taking me to breakfast I was so hungry I didn't even think about protesting. When I woke up, it was already late afternoon and I hadn't eaten a single bite in almost two and a half days. With so much stress and distress added to it, it was a miracle that I didn't faint.

We didn't talk much in the breakfast. I was so focused on eating, he didn't want to distract me.

He drove me to school after the breakfast. He came inside the campus again, in front of the faculty. Just as he was about to get out to open my door, I said, "You don't need to get out," and opened my door and got out of the car.

There was no kiss or a goodbye. I was having a hard time looking at Tom because of what happened last night. As if it wasn't him I betrayed this time, it was Seb.

I just didn't understand why I felt like this. I told Seb to leave. I decided who I love most. Then why did I feel like Tom was a burden to me now?

He didn't even apologize to me properly. He lay on my bed like nothing was wrong, took me to breakfast and dropped me off to school.

I pushed the thoughts out of my mind and entered the workshop where my Applied Arts class was held. While some people in the workshop were in their own corners, others were gathered together and talking. When someone from the group saw me, he pointed to the others.