The Basement

Your POV

We fought off the titans, both Levi and I panting heavily as we ran towards the gate. Levi was perched on my shoulder as I used my hardening to scale the wall. He was covered in titan blood from head to toe. 

Once I reached the top, Levi and I stared down at the man. I was going to kill him, regardless of who I now knew him to be. Levi and I slid down the wall, ready to chase them more. 

He took off with the quadruped titan, leaving Eren who was holding a blade to Bertholdt's neck. Levi landed on the house next to Eren, and I emerged from the nape of my titan.

"Captain! Y/N!" Eren shouted in relief.

"I just used the last of my gas," Levi said in a rush, "Quick, give me your gear so I can chase him."

"Right!"

"Hurry!" Levi ordered as Eren began to fumble with his gear. 

Suddenly, the charred corpse behind Eren made a sputtering sound. Eren halted, eyes wide as he turned to look at the body. "Eren, who is that?" I asked, scared to hear the answer. 

Ignoring me, Eren began to tear up as he grabbed the body, crying out, "Yeah! Hell yeah! Armin's still breathing! I hear him!"

All the air left my lungs as I stared at the body. No... No way... Not Armin. I abandoned my titan and ran over to Armin and Eren, noticing Mikasa standing off to the side trying not to cry. 

"Keep going! Don't give up!" I cried, holding his burnt face in my hands, "You can make it!"

"That's Armin?" Mikasa whimpered.

I ignored her, turning to Levi, "Levi! The syringe!"

Levi looked up at me, meeting my teary eyes and began to slowly reach for his pocket. I could see the hesitation in his movement. 

"Turn Armin into a titan, and then we can have him eat Bertholdt!" Eren cried, holding the unconscious titan shifter by the neck. "Hurry up and inject him!"

"...Right," Levi muttered. Mikasa shot up a red smoke signal. Levi was about to hand the syringe over to Eren, but a sudden slamming stopped him. 

All four of us turned to see... the recruit who had been crying like a baby earlier. And he was carrying Erwin on his back. "Levi... Captain... I finally found you. It's the commander. He's hurt! His stomach is gouged, and his insides are all torn to shreds. The blood just won't stop! I thought that injection might be able to help him, but... what do you think?"

I stared at Erwin with wide eyes, then turned to glance back at Armin. No... No, no, no! This can't be happening. This has to be some cruel joke. 

Levi retracted the syringe, holding it close to his chest. "Captain Levi..." Eren breathed, watching as the man took Erwin and laid him on the roof. 

I hesitantly walked over and knelt down beside him, holding my hand above his slightly parted lips. My eyes stung as the tears welled up even more, "It's faint, but... he's breathing."

"Erwin... You're alive," Levi spoke in disbelief. There was a moment of silence as everyone realized what that meant. "You know what has to happen. Erwin gets the shot."

Eren growled and stood as well, staring at Levi as he begged, "You can't. You told me you'd use it on Armin."

"I'm going to revive the person who can save humanity," Levi replied lowly. I heard the shing of a blade and saw Mikasa had drawn her sword. 

"Mikasa...," I whimpered, "Don't do this. Please... Both of you stop."

Levi narrowed his eyes at them as he seethed, "You two... Do you have even the faintest damn clue... what you're doing? It's Erwin... the Commander of the scouts... and you're telling me to watch him die? There's no time for this. Just get out of my way." Levi tried to step around Eren, but Eren grabbed the box tightly. "Eren. Check your emotions."