Give Up on Your Dream

Your POV

It was sunset before the battle, the time for preparations. All of our horses and gear were getting loaded over the wall, as well as the scouts. Erwin and the squad captains had just finished their meeting with the commanders and captains of the other regiments, Premier Zachary was their too.

Currently, Levi, Hanji, and I were on a lift to take us to the top of the wall. As the lift went up, we heard a voice shout, "Hey! Hanji! Good luck!"

"Flegel?" She gaped.

The towns people below started cheering and shouting encouragements to us. I smiled slightly as I looked down at them, glad to see that we had the support of the people.

When we reached the top, the three of us took our spots beside Erwin and among the rest of the scouts. We were all lined up on the wall, facing the citizens down below.

"Someone's got a big mouth," Levi muttered.

"Yeah, well," Hanji sighed, "that celebration did get a little rowdy."

Harold turned to look at us, "Actually, we ordered all of that meat from the Reeves Company, so..."

"Flegel," Dirk mumbled, shaking his head.

Suddenly, Connie, Sasha, and Jean were shouting back at them excitedly, "Yeah! You can count on us!"

"I wonder how long it's been since the scouts got a sendoff like this," Clark spoke.

"I dunno," Dirk replied, "I'm not sure if we ever have."

"Well, as far as I'm aware, at least, this is a first," Erwin said, making me smile a bit. Erwin broke into a smile of his own as he raised his arm and shouted a battle cry. The crowd below shouted back excitedly. Erwin drew his sword and pointed it forward determinedly, "The operation to retake Wall Maria begins now!"

Everyone quickly went over the other side of the wall and mounted their horses. My horse stood beside Levi's as we readied ourselves. "Scouts, move out!" Erwin commanded. We took off, everyone shouting a battle cry as we did.

I clutched the reigns tightly in my hands as we sped forward, pure determination the only thing I was feeling. We were going to do this. We had to.

A Couple Hours Later...

When it got dark, and we drew closer to the wall, we all opted to walk through the forest on foot with our hoods up. I walked beside Levi, Oak's reigns held loosely in my right hand, my left holding a lantern.

Suddenly, the scout behind us tripped, dropping his lantern as he did. His horse stumbled forward in alarm.

"Slow down," I instructed lightly, "Make sure the ground is lit."

"Right. Sorry, captain," he nodded.

Levi turned to me and Dirk, asking, "Will we get there soon? It's just about dawn."

Dirk checked his map before answering, "Well, once we get over this mountain, Shiganshina should be close by."

I tensed slightly, gripping my reigns a little tighter. Levi noticed, and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "You okay?" He asked softly.

I nodded, "Yeah... I just... I haven't been to Shiganshina in a long time. I don't know how to feel about it, ya know?" He nodded, rubbing my back comfortingly, making me smile at him.

"Titan on the left!" I jumped at Jean's sudden outburst. "Everyone halt! Light up the area!" Everyone stopped and turned their lanterns to the left, shining on the immobile giant.