What Needs to be Done Now

Your POV

It was finally the day that the cadets would be choosing their regiments. The Scouts would be the ones making their speech last, so all we had to do was wait for the time being. Once everyone made their case as to why the cadets should join their regiment, it was Erwin's turn. I already knew that Erwin would tell them the truth. He wouldn't sugar coat the likelihood of their demise if they joined us. 

We stood to the side of the platform as Erwin began his speech. "Good evening. I am Erwin Smith, Commander of the Survey Corp, also known as the Scout Regiment. Today, you will choose your regiment.  Let's cut to the chase here. The Scouts need you. We need all the warm bodies we can get. After the recent titan attack, you now know first-hand the horrors of which they are capable. As well as the limits of your own skill."

"However...! This battle's aftermath gave humanity a new chance for victory. I refer to Eren Jeager. After selflessly risking life and limb, he has proven, beyond a doubt, his unwavering loyalty to our cause. Hope lives in him. Eren didn't just help to deter the titan invasion. He's offered us a means to discern the truth of their origin! Intel suggests that the cellar of Jeager's home in Shiganshina holds a vital secret regarding our enemy. We will form an expedition to find this secret. Find it. And use it to break free from the titan's tyrannical hundred-year reign once and for all!" 

He paused while the cadets processed the information they had just learned. Then he began explaining the plan. "Before we can reach the aforementioned cellar in Shiganshina, another problem must be dealt with. We must first retake Wall Maria. Of course, this is much easier said than done." Petra and Mike held out a map without route on it. "And now that the gate at Trost has been rendered inaccessible, we'll be forced to stage future operations from the Calaneth District, further east. Thus, the battalion route we've spent the last 4 years establishing is now completely useless to us. Over the course of those 4 years, we've incurred losses in excess of 60%. 60% in 4 years. That's a horrifying figure."

"One month from now, we will conduct a recon mission outside the walls. Recruits from among your ranks will be expected to take part. I estimate a third of them will die. After 4 years, most will be dead. But those who endure will be amongst the most capable soldiers alive. Now having heard this dismal state of affairs, whoever still wishes to put their life on the line and join us, remain here. But first ask yourself. Can you give your heart? Can you give everything for humanity?" There was a pause before he concluded, "That is all. Those wanting to join other regiments are dismissed." 

One of the scouts walked up to Erwin and said, "Commander! I think that you may've overly intimidated the cadets, Sir. None of them are gonna stick around." I looked out over the crowd of people, the majority of them leaving. Those who weren't moving seemed that they were fighting the urge to join the ones leaving. 

"I ask you, if you were ordered to die, could you do it?" 

One of them yelled, "We don't wanna die, sir." 

Erwin nodded and replied, "Of course. Let us hope that you don't then. You who stayed, you are now one of us. Allow me to welcome you to the Scout Regiment. This is a genuine salute, soldiers! Together we give our hearts!" They all saluted, and I smiled to myself. I'm proud that they were willing to join us and give it all to our cause. "Those of you standing here have worked through your fear. You have proven yourselves courageous. Each one of you has my respect." 

The newbies were sent to learn the formation and get ready for the expedition in a month. It would serve as a test run, seeing if we had a shot at getting Eren and me to Shiganshina. So, we had to pull the formations off perfectly. 

It was finally time to meet the newbies. I have always loved meeting the fresh Scouts. Levi and I were tending to the horses when I heard Eren talking to his friends. "Hey Levi, take Oak for me for a second, I'm gonna go say hi," I asked him, handing him my horse's reigns. He nodded knowing how excited I was to meet them. I walked over and saw Armin and Mikasa. "Armin! Mikasa!" 

They turned to look at me and smiled when they saw me. "Hey Y/N, I haven't seen you in a while!" Armin said while I hugged him and Mikasa. 

"Hi Y/N, nice to see you again," Mikasa said. They were both much taller than me considering I was only about 5' 1". 

All the rookies were looking at me in shock, as if I had done something wrong. "Hey guys, I'm Captain Y/N Jeager. It's nice to meet you all," I told them with a smile. 

"Jeager?! As in Eren's sister?!" A boy who looked similar to a horse asked. 

"Yes... Eren, did you ever tell them about me?" I asked him. He awkwardly chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck. I rolled my eyes at him and looked back at his friends. 

"You're a Captain? How old are you?" Asked a girl with a brown ponytail and bangs with a confused look. 

I smiled at them, "I'm 25, I know I'm kinda short, but I'll still kick your asses." They all looked shocked to hear my true age. "Well, I hope that at least some of you get to join my squad. I'll be around if you need me rookies," I waved as I walked back over to Levi. 

The Test Run...

We had all lined up at the gate, ready for our first expedition with the rookies. Levi and I riding on the same horse today as part of the plan. "Titans in the vicinity have been lured away! Gate opens in 30 seconds! This is it! The day has come for humanity to take another step forward! Now let's show these titans exactly what we're made of!" Everyone cheered as the gates opened.

I looked over Levi's shoulder and asked him seriously, "You ready?" 

He nodded looking me in the eyes with a smirk, "Always." 

"Forward!" Erwin yelled. And with that everyone's horses took off through the gate. 

"It's officially begun! The 57th Recon Mission! Scouts, move out!"