Origins

Third Person POV

The fateful day that I, just a naive youth, was made to face the truth of this world.

A young Grisha and his little sister Fay were walking through the town, trying to reach the airship. They were trying to avoid as many people as possible, seeing as they weren't exactly welcome here. 

"Move it you vermin," A well-dressed man hissed, his briefcase purposefully smacking them in the side. "Ya can't get away from these devil-bloods. Damn Eldians are crawling around as they please now."

"Grisha," Fay cried, holding onto her brother with fear.

Grisha was quick to reassure her, "It's alright, Fay. We've heard worse before. Look there! It should be just past that hill." The two kids walked quickly towards the hill and climbed up the stone stares. They both gasped, eyes wide with amazement when they reached the top. A couple hundred yards away, across the river, was a huge airship. 

"It's so big!" Fay exclaimed, her eyes gleaming with excitement. Grisha smiled at his little sister, pleased that she was happy.

An older man's voice rang out from a short distance away, "Are you kids here to look at the airship too?" The two kids then took notice of the two Marleyan police officers sitting on the slope of the hill a few feet away.

"Uh, yes, sir!" Grisha replied, protectively shielding his sister as the stepped back.

"You're from the Liberio Internment Zone?" The same man asks, "Let's see your exit permit."

Grisha begins to panic as he replies, "Huh? Our permit? ...We don't have one."

"If you enter the city without permission, then you need to be punished," the police officer says.

"Yes, sir," Grisha nods.

The officer bends down in front of the two kids and asks, "Hard labor? Or a quick beating?"

Grisha nervously replies, "A beating, please."

"Brother!" Fay shrieks.

"Ah," the officer responds, "Cause you don't wanna trouble your parents, right?"

"That's right." Grisha then stiffens as he quickly explains, "My sister didn't wanna come but I dragged her with me!  Please allow me to take her punishment too!"

"Very well." The officer grabs Grisha and knees him in the stomach as Fay shouts and cries for her brother. She covers her eyes her 11-year-old brother is beaten on both of their behalf. 

"Sheesh," the other officer lazily speaks, "Go easy on him, Kruger." He then walks over to Fay and begins to guide her away, speaking sweetly, "Come on, dear. Let's get you back home."

When Kruger is finished with Grisha's beating, he sits down on the grassy slope and lights a cigarette. "It was wise of you two to leave you armbands on," Kruger says to the injured boy. "Kids or not, Eldians who take theirs off get a one-way trip to paradise."

Grisha manages to pull himself to his feet, mumbling weakly, "Sorry. I'll go back home now."

"Wait," Kruger stops him, "You came to see the airship, right? You may as well do it while you can." Grisha hesitantly takes a seat a few feet away from the man and watches the airship for a little while longer.

The next day, my sister... was found on the banks of the river.

"I showed the girl to the gates of Liberio and then I went on my way," the officer from the day prior told Grisha's parents. "I was busy with work, you see. And Eldian children shouldn't be roaming about the city without permits in the first place. I find it disturbing that your son doesn't know what it means to be of his bloodline. I mean, you have been teaching him so that he can feel the weight of your ancestor's sins, now haven't you?"