When Everything Changed

Your POV (First Time Beyond Paradis)

I stared out over the railing of the boat with gleaming eyes at the city. It was so big and there looked to be so many people. I still found it hard to believe that there was a whole world beyond the walls. Everything was so foreign from the clothes to the technology. 

I was wearing what I was told was casual wear for the people of Marley. It was a white button-down blouse with a green high waisted skirt with a green coat to match. Almost everyone else was wearing a hat, but I opted to pin my hair up instead. 

Levi looked quite handsome in his suit. It was a white button-down shirt with a black tie, black vest, and a blue overcoat to match. He was wearing a black hat that I think suited him well. I may prefer this suit over the black one he used to wear all the time.

When we docked, I was one of the first off of the boat. I was so enthralled with everything because I had never seen most of it before. I saw a camera like the one my dad wrote about in his journal. I was almost overwhelmed, but also felt so clueless at the same time. 

"My friends! I'd like to welcome you to the continent of Marley! The Azumabito have been waiting. May I escort you?"

I turned, smiling brightly as I greeted Onyankopon, "Hey, Onyankopon!"

"It's so good to see you all here!" He exclaimed, "So, what does everyone think about the biggest port in the country?"

But as he asked that, I saw a weird contraption pass us with a person sitting in it. It looked kinda like a carriage, but with no horse.

"Ah! What's with that horse?!" Connie pointed, "Or wait. Is that... What was that?"

Sasha shook her head, "Nah. No horse ever looked like that. I think it was a Marleyan cow!"

"It must've been a car. I've definitely heard about those!" Hanji gleamed. 

I smiled and excitedly nodded, "Oh, that's right! The carriages with the motors inside so they don't need horses!"

"Hey! Car! Here, boy!" She shouted, waving her hand towards the car. 

I blushed in embarrassment, grabbing her hand and forcing it down, "Hanji, they're inanimate objects, remember? They can't hear you."

But she ignored me as she, Sasha, and Connie started running after the car. I sighed and shook my head with a laugh. I walked over and joined Levi and Onyankopon. "Better get them on a leash," Levi mumbled, "They'll try and feed the car carrots if they manage to catch it."

"Yeah... I wouldn't put it past them," I giggled.

Onyankopon laughed, "Give 'em more credit than tha- Wait, are they buying carrots?" I couldn't help but burst into laughter, seeing they were indeed buying carrots.

Once we got got Sasha, Hanji, and Connie under control, we slowly made our way through the port. Levi and I noticed Armin, Mikasa, and Eren lagging behind. He turned, calling out, "Guys. Stick with the group. Especially you, Eren."

"Be right there!" Armin replied. 

Suddenly, Sasha came running over, "Y/N come on! There's food to try!"

I laughed and ran with her as she dragged me over to a stand selling something that I managed to read as 'Ice Cream.' It was like all the memories I had of learning to read and write the mainland form of Eldian came rushing back. I felt like I remembered seeing it at some point in my childhood, but I wasn't sure.

(They speak the same language according to the Public Information in the manga, but I personally think that they have different writing systems. I think it would make sense since Ymir could read the labels on the can that Reiner couldn't when he was mentally a Soldier instead of a Warrior. Just a theory and not super important to this book, but a small detail I wanted to add.)