Chap_29. The One to be Blamed

Khushi's P.O.V.

When hearing Arnav, I still kept silent, he uttered, "I love you, Khushi.
I regret pushing you away. You know if I could, I would have turned back time to that day. It had been my earnest wish since that day.

I agree I started all this because of that dare but by the time it reached the end point, it wasn't a dare for me anymore. I really liked to spend time with you. The moment I realized my feelings for you, I tried to run away. I tried to run away from you like a coward because frankly speaking I was scared.

Maybe this will sound like an excuse to you but I was afraid that I might not be good enough for you and you would leave me at some point like my mom did to dad. But I failed. I failed because I started having feelings for you without even realizing.

When I realized, it was already late. I searched for you a lot but you were nowhere. Then I thought I would have to stay alone forever and it was my punishment.

Because while winning that dare, I had lost myself. But when I saw you again, I couldn't control myself anymore."

I got all silent hearing him for a few moments and couldn't decide what to say other than this. "Arnav, I don't love you anymore."

Arnav's P.O.V.

Hearing Khushi, I got all silent for a few moments. I knew she wasn't being able to accept her feelings again given our history. But her calm voice gave me a positive vibe. Giving it a good thought, I spoke up again, "Okay fine. I totally respect that.

And I am not asking you to change your mind or like me again now. But let me like you. Just leave me be. Don't worry. I won't stress you out anymore. I will now never interfere with your peaceful life. Things can stay like this. Then one day if you can open up to me again, change your mind and look at me. You can take all the time you want. I will be waiting."

"But Arnav.." She tried to say something but I didn't let her complete and spoke up, "When are you going back home? Let's go together."

"I need to be here for a few more days. You go back." Saying this, Khushi left my room before I could say something.

I took the medicines and laid down on the bed. With energy drained out from my body, I fell asleep soon.

The next day when I woke up, it was already late in the morning. I took my phone only to find several missed calls from the office. My PA also called me a few times.

Wondering the reason, I called back to my PA. The news he shared with me got me dumbfounded. The least unexpected thing had happened.

"I will head to the office now." I said and pulled myself out of the comforter.

Getting a quick shower, I got dressed up and headed to the office.

Just like I assumed, the environment of the conference room appeared to be the same.

Seeing me at the entrance, everyone got silent. Khushi was also sitting there with her head down.

I walked ahead and settled in my chair. Even before I could say something, the project manager came to me and spoke up, "Sir, the information that got leaked was only known to Ms. Khushi apart from our team members and I am pretty sure our team members didn't do anything unethical. And the project file, we handed over to Ms. Khushi, she said she had lost it."

"Sir, it's her to leak the information." Another one stood next in the line blaming Khushi while Khushi kept her head down.

I was so sure Khushi would never do this type of thing just because of me. There was more to it. I thought and spoke up, "Give us the room."

Everyone left except for Khushi. I spoke up, "What happened actually?"

"I didn't leak any_" stopping her, I spoke up, "I know and I asked what happened actually."

"Look, Arnav. I don't compromise with professionalism. I don't know what happened but I didn't leak the information or something."

"Last night was the project file with you then?" Remembering about last night, I shot this question.

"Yes and given the situation, I forgot to take it when I ran away." Khushi said after thinking for a few moments.

So, the incident of last night wasn't just an incident but a planned one. I was so sure of it.

"Do you think_" Khushi stopped midway while asking me a question.

"The situation indicates something like that." I replied anyway.

"But who would use such a disgusting way to get the information?" Khushi asked knitting her brows.

"Well, leave that on me. You don't worry." I assured her and took out my phone.

I was scrolling through my saved contact list when Khushi spoke up again, "Anyways, it's my fault. And I am ready to pay the compensation."

"Well, I will make sure to get the compensation but from the responsible one only. And I don't think you are responsible for leaking the information, are you?"

Khushi spoke up going sideways, "In a sense, yes. If I haven't _"

"Khushi, you are not guilty alone in that case. I am pretty sure I played a crucial role to get you there last night. So, in that sense I am also partially responsible, right?" I spoke up, thinking she would blame me now and at least get her back to her normal self.

Seeing her keeping her head down and making a guilty face was bothering me.

"Don't try to divert the direction of the topic." Khushi said as if seeing through my inner thoughts, "Let's try to get the person who leaked the information and if we don't happen to find that one, I will pay the compensation. That's it."

Khushi barely completed her words and then left the conference room before I could say anything.

I kept sitting there for a while when my phone rang off. It was Akash.

As soon as I received the call, he got uttering, "Arnav, it's not Khushi. She might be angry with you but she knows better to keep personal and professional life apart. You are not doubting her, right?"

I uttered, "Relax, Akash. I know Khushi isn't to blame in this."

"Well, then let's find the responsible one. If we don't happen to find that one, I will pay the compensation. Just don't say anything to Khushi."

"You know you guys have become like real siblings." I said only to get him uttering, "What do you mean?"

"Khushi said exactly the same words just a few minutes ago." I uttered calmly.

After a few moments of silence, Akash again got uttering, "Anyways, is there anyone you are doubting on this matter?"

"Well, I can roughly guess but leave it on me for now." I for a moment considered whether to tell him about the incident from last night but at last decided not to.

Nothing bad happened to Khushi and the other things will be handled anyway. So why get him worried unnecessarily!