XXXVI

Harper

We sorted everything out. We got married. And now Bennie is nine months pregnant with our daughter. We used this weird conception thing where they used my bone marrow. I don't know. It's too scientific for me. It's called Bone Marrow-Derived Cell Therapy. But now we have a healthy baby baking in Bennie's belly.

That was a lot of B's.

We've got a name for her. She's going to be called ChristinaKate. Her grandparents were very happy about this. And of course they were thrilled that we were having a child so soon after the wedding. Bennie wanted to start while she was fertile and well... I couldn't fault her. But it was decided that I'd carry the next kid as bone marrow is hard to locate and it is a finite source.

Bennie has been in the hospital as her water broke six hours ago. She's still not fully dilated and no ones worried but Bennie. Only because she's in a lot of pain though. I'm trying my best to comfort her on this stupidly early August morning and it works for the most part. But the pain in her eyes is just killing me.

I stroke her sweat covered hair back from her face. She's let her natural hair grow back in and I am in love with it. And she does too, no one has even noticed it. It sort of just automatically registers in their brains that that's just Bennie. I think she looks cute with her big chunks of blonde. She truly looks like both of her parents. Sure, the heterochromia in her eyes are a lot more noticeable than Kate's but she's still cute.

"I'm so tired, babe." she whispered to me, her eyes pleading for mercy.

"I know. I'm sure it won't be long now. And we'll have our beautiful little girl all to ourselves and we'll love her so much and she'll love us. Her Auntie Mo will be so proud to be her aunt and her Auntie Ashofta will teach her all sorts of cool hairstyles. We're gonna have such a good life with her." I assure my wife.

"Maybe she could do my hair." Bennie yawned.

"Our kid or Ashofta?" I muse.

"Both." she shrugged.

"Maybe they will. You'll be their test subject." I chuckle a little.

"I love it when people play with my hair. So I won't mind."

"I know." I nod, stroking her hair still. She smiles dopily at me as I do so. She's really high right now.

Then that smile dropped and she let out a shriek of pain. The doctors came straight in and announced that the baby was crowning and that Bennie should be ready to push. I was gowned and gloved before taking my wife's hand and tensing so her death grip wouldn't hurt as much. Top tip from Christina.

After three pushes, I heard the cries of the baby as they carried her to a cot to get her cleaned up. I just couldn't wait to see her and Bennie seemed to feel a lot of relief, I can see it in her eyes.

She was able to have the first hold of our baby, and I have to say she was gorgeous. Her hair was really thick and it was dark, and lighter in some places. I pointed this out to Bennie and she started crying.

"Just like her Mom." she sobbed. They took her away to do some health check and came back with her about half an hour later. Completely healthy, which was a huge relief. Bennie let her be handed to me, and I had to sit down so I don't drop her because she made my knees weak. She's so breathtakingly gorgeous. I kissed her head and when I looked up, I saw Bennie's Auntie Audrey snapping a picture.

"How long have you been here?" I ask.

"Since she gave birth," she shrugged, "I got photos of her first hold, too. You wanna see?"

"It's an unwritten rule that Auntie Audrey is present at all of Mama's family's births." Bennie shrugged lazily.

"Right, okay." I nod. The baby got a bit restless and she was trying to bite my boob, "She's hungry." I tell Bennie.

"Pass her here, please. Don't let my baby starve!" Bennie said dramatically. She fed the girl and I was just stunned. My beautiful wife gave birth to our beautiful daughter on a beautiful morning.

And that's where this story ends. With Collie and I starting our family. You may hear from us in the future and we may cross paths in someone else's timeline. But this is where our journey of love ends. Sure, our love won't, but this will be the last snippet in the main title sequence.

But for now, it's just me, ChristinaKate and Collie. Our little family.