Chapter 23 : Max

As usual, they pass the winner's anthem followed by the constructor's one. I look through the crowd while the music resonates in the air. All the fans, and the team members with their eyes fixate on us. A lot of genuine smiles on their faces. I smile too. Wishing this moment could last forever.

Once the music stops, we receive our trophies one by one. I throw mine in the air as the public cheers grow bigger. As soon as it's over, I bend down to grab my champagne bottle as fast as I can before turning to Christian who received the team's trophy. I spray him while laughing before turning to do the same with Lewis. He sprays me back with a smile. I'm having so much fun I don't even realize right away that the one currently spraying my back is actually Charles. I assumed it was Christian having his revenge.

I spin to attack him back. Oh, it's on. I spray him with no mercy. Using this opportunity as a payback for acting weird with me since the kiss happened. I empty my bottle over his head while he rubs his eyes with a laugh. I never thought a laugh could be so captivating but I guess it is after all.

We put down our empty bottles and regrouped on the p1 platform for the official group picture. I stand in the middle, putting my arms around Charles and Lewis. The feeling of Charles's body against mine makes me sweat. Why does this step have to be so ridiculously small ? I can't even breathe. It doesn't get any better when his hand lands on my back as well, right above my waist.

So damn close.

As soon as the picture is taken, I take my trophy and go back inside to change. I lock myself in my driver's room to get some alone time before the post-race interview. I bend over the sink to drown my face in water. The coldness makes my hot flushes go away. Thank god. What was that ? I've never had those before, and I never want to experience them ever again.

I attach the top of my race suit around my hip and put on a clean redbull t-shirt with the jacket that matches it. Closing the door, I leave for the press room in a much better state.

I'm the last one to arrive. Charles and Lewis are already in full chatting mode. I take the available seat next to Lewis who greets me with a nod. The interviewer sits straighter when he sees me arriving.

'So everyone is here, we can start ?'

A few journalists nod, eager to start firing us with their questions. The first ones are for Lewis. He answers every single one of them with diplomacy. I sometimes wish I had this much control over what I say, but I simply can't. I tried though, so many times. I told myself 'Keep it in it's not worth it'. But every single time my stupid brain didn't listen, making a life of its own. Answering without a filter. The good thing about it is, I don't care that much about what people think. What I've learned after so many years in the sport is that no matter how nice, fair, or quiet you are. They will always find reasons to hate on you. So I just gave up trying completely.

After Charles finished answering the few questions he had, all eyes turned to me. The first question the interviewer asks me is actually really interesting. He points out the strategy we went for and how it led to our victory. I answer in the best way I can, retailing how I felt from inside of the car.

Soon enough the first question from a journalist comes.

'Max, congratulations on the result. You and Charles were very strong rivals back in karting, how do you feel about battling again with him 10 years later ?'

I try to hide my surprise as I really wasn't expecting that kind of question. I'm so used to having some about the race or the current events that this one throws me back a little.

'Well, I always thought that if I would make it to f1, Charles would also make it. So it's not a surprise that we are sitting here together I think'

I feel his gaze on me even without having to look but I keep mine on the journalist. I don't have the strength to see whatever he must be thinking right now. I answered as genuinely as I ever had. Not capable of lying when it comes to him.

'Charles ?', the reporter asks to get his opinion.

Officially entering the list of people I hate. Because to be honest, I would've been okay with not knowing what he thinks because he's probably still mad at me.

He sighs, judging by the sound of it since I still don't dare to look at him.

'Yeah, I mean we've always been really competitive in karting and in all the categories where we were together. It's amazing, I have really good memories', he chuckles. 'Others that are less good but that became funny with time'

I can't help the smile creeping on my lips at his comment. Since I know exactly what he's referring to. I have to agree, that some moments were definitely not enjoyable at the time but now, everything changed. We've both grown up and matured. And all these fights and angry comments are something I now view as fond memories. Ones I wouldn't erase for the world.

After that, I go back to typical race questions but my mood is still uplifted by the first one. Or Charles's unexpected answer to be honest.

Interviews aren't always that bad after all.

•••

I went back to my driver's room when all my duties were completed. Well, almost. I still have a meeting with the team but it's only in half an hour so I have time to rest a little. I change to lie down on my bed with clean clothes.

Less than fifteen minutes later, there is a knock on my door. I frown. Whoever decided that disturbing me during one of my only times alone today was a good idea needs to seriously do better. I open the door, already annoyed to have had to get up for this. The last person I expected to see facing me.

My eyes widen at the sight of Charles. But before I even have the time to process it, he pushes me inside locking the door behind us. I shake my head confused.

'What the hell are you-'

The rest of my sentence will forever stay a mystery because he closes the small gap between us to kiss me. Just like that. Out of nowhere. The softness of his lips make me forget everything. From where I am to what we're doing. Who cares. It feels nice. No actually, it feels absolutely amazing. That man is crazy. He's crazy and... and he has a girlfriend.

Oh my god.

I break the kiss against my will, my body still brushing against his. I'm not that strong, okay ?

'What about Alexandra ?'

My voice sounds shaky, reflecting perfectly my state right now. I asked a question I didn't want to know the answer to. He's probably going to realize that he does in fact have a girlfriend that he's cheating on with me. Again. Why would he do that though ? Why would he kiss me again, especially after how angry he was after the first time ? He regretted it, I saw it in his eyes. So why doing it again ?

He sets his eyes on mine while trying to steady his panted voice. God, it has no right being this hot.

'We broke up'

My eyes widen.

They did what ?