Chapter 2 : Charles

I was right. Max is on pole again. And I'm officially p9. The miracle technically occurred so cheers to that I guess.

It doesn't matter anyway, regardless of my position I'd still have given everything in the race.

Speaking of the race, it'll be starting in just a couple of hours from now. Right after the drivers parade. I really like this little pre-race ritual. It's a good opportunity to connect with the fans more. It's a bit harder when you're wearing a helmet and passing them at 200 km/h.

I put on my Ferrari jacket and join the rest of the drivers. They're all chatting in small groups while waiting for the cars to arrive. The closest to me are Max and Lando, so I decide to go greet them.

As soon as I'm at their level, Max starts recording me with a camera.

'How are we doing ?'

I chuckle.

'I thought you were checking your phone'

That's what I assumed when I saw him focusing on something in his hands.

Lando cracks up, probably mocking my confused reaction. Typical Lando.

'I'm recording for McLaren'

I take a closer look at the camera and notice a small note on it, which I read out loud.

'Just press the red button. Oh for McLaren'

Little slow here Charles. I put it down to sleepiness.

Max gives me an endearing smile as he continues to shoot. I wave at the screen.

'Well, hello boys'

He giggles before ending the recording.

'I think Mclaren TV will be satisfied with that. What do you think Lando ?'

'Yeah, I agree. 10/10'

We all laugh before falling into a more serious conversation naturally. Despite what a lot of people think, the atmosphere between the drivers is really good. I get along with all of them, some more than others. Lando and Max are part of that list. Age probably plays an important role because we like talking about the same things. Not just racing, but our interests in general. We all have similar lives so we understand each other more than anyone else.

'So, how are you feeling after your crash yesterday ?'

'Good. I wasn't hurt at all, so that's good news. Hopefully I'll be able to do something in the race but it's not off to a good start to be honest'

Lando nods sympathetically.

'Been there but you never know what could happen. Races are full of surprises'

'Oh yeah, definitely. Let's see how it goes and hope for the best'

I shift my focus to Max, who's strangely quiet today, which isn't the case most of the time. He's chatty. Like big time. He has the ability to make the smallest things so interesting. I like that about him.

Or maybe what I truly like is how passionate he is about them and how joyful he is to ramble.
It's kind of cute.

'What about you ? Do you even feel stressed at this point ?', I ask jokingly.

'I'm a chill guy', he shrugs.

'Funny, you weren't that chill back then when I used to beat you on track'

Okay, that was a low blow. My bad.

Even though our relationship is much better than it used to, I can't help but tease him. Why should it change when we've always been like this with each other ? But I know damn well that it's a risk. We could go back to the hating phase in a flash. We both know it. This friendly situation is hanging on by a very thin thread that could be destroyed anytime.
As it has in the past.