Chapter 16 : Charles

He nods at my answer before turning to go to the bar.

I follow him with my eyes.

He's been acting weird since the moment we arrived. Distant.

Did I do something to piss him off ? I don't see what. Everything was fine earlier today when I congratulated him. When he smiled at me, his eyes filled with joy. I've seen him happy more times that I could count but not this happy. It was nice to see him celebrate his achievement. One he deserves more than anyone else.

Yet now, his attitude changed completely. Like this whole thing was just the fruit of my imagination. I wonder what happened in between then and now to make him act that way.

I nod at something Lando says, still distracted.

I try to keep my focus on my friends who seem to be having the most interesting conversation. But I can't help stealing glances in the direction of the bar. Especially when I notice a girl approaching him.

I can't see her properly but I still can tell she's gorgeous. Long blond hair, slim body and more than certainly the face to match it. I frown instantly. Watching the scene attentively from my seat.

They've been talking for five whole minutes. What the hell could they be saying to each other for such a long time ?

Whatever.

I take part in my friends conversation again, praying for Max to hurry bringing those drinks. I need the liquor more than ever.

Like he heard my silence prayer, he comes back with them in his hand a few seconds later. A giant grin almost splitting his face in half. Why is he smiling like an idiot for ? Is he bipolar or something ?

'What took you so long ?', Carlos asks him.

I take the drink he just put in front of us as a distraction. Not particularly keen on hearing the answer to that.

'This girl came to talk to me. And I love you guys but she asked me to dance so...'

I tense at the words but force my body to relax. It's cool. He met a girl, good for him.

They keep talking for a while but I only hear half of it, not particularly interested in the conversation. Until I realise Max left.

One quick glance to the bar confirming what I was fearing. He went to join her, again.

'What the hell is wrong with him ?'

I turn to Carlos on my side. His state of shock probably desplaying the reaction I shoud be having. Not anger. Not hurt. But shock. Because... Max has a girlfriend. How could I forget such an important detail ? It makes his behavior even stranger than I thought. He's out there flirting with another girl like it was the most normal thing in the world when he has Kelly. How can he do that to her ?

It's not him. I can't help but be certain there's something I'm not aware of. He would never do that to her. He'd never purposely hurt someone. I know it. Despite how much drinks he obviously had.

'Yeah, I know. I didn't think he'd move on so quickly either but hey, who am I to judge ?'

We both frown at Lando.

'What do you mean move on ?', I ask suddenly very involved in the topic.

He takes a moment to look at the two of us, one by one. His face betraying his confusion.

'Wait. You guys don't know ? Kelly broke up with him'

Carlos puts his hand on his mouth while I blink.

Several times.

Because there is absolutely no way this is true. Why would she break up with him ? They seemed really happy together. To a point where I sometimes found myself envious of what they had. Their complicity, their connection. I never felt that with Alex. We get along really well too but is it the soulmate type of love ? I'm not sure. But since we're pretty fresh, I hoped time would change that. Eventually.

'What ? Why ?'

Lando shurgs at my teammate.

And before he gets to answer, it hits me.

Our conversation earlier this week. Max told me it was a bit complicated between them lately. But I just figured they had a normal couple fight. I would've never thought it was the breakup type one.

'We talked but he didn't exactly explain why. And I don't think it would be my place to tell anyway'

Carlos nods understandably while I'm still buried in my thoughts.

Everything makes sense now. That's the reason why he's been acting that way.

He's single.

The thought of him being able to date whoever he wants makes me uneasy but I shake the feeling off.

I look up to see where he is. It takes a thorough scan at the crowd to find him. I can't see his face but I don't need to. I'd recognize his messy blond hair and his built anywhere.

Yet if I only focused on the way he's acting, I could have had a doubt. Because the Max I know wouldn't be carefreely dancing with a random girl, rubbing his body down on her like that. No, he'd be making awkward dance moves while praying for no one to be watching him.

That guy on the other hand ? He looks like he couldn't care less. Like he flirts with girls all the time. The sight making the worriness I've been trying to burry deep deep down grow back.

How much did he drink ? It's dangerous. He should be more careful. Breakup or not it's not a reason to act irresponsibly. What if he got alcohol poisoned ? What if someone photographed him with that girl ? What would he do then ? He's a known racing driver for fuck sake. He can't just, do that in plain sight.

I take a big sip of my drink, contradicting myself completely. It's my first so it doesn't apply to me. Only to my dutch stupid friend.

I realise I let the word friend slip in my mind.

Guess I really need to stop lying to myself. The time we've spent together and our obvious understanding of one another are the definition of friendship. So yeah. We're friends. Or I consider him to be my friend. And how bad of a friend would I be if I didn't worry about his well being ?

Terrible. I would be terrible.

'Charles ?'

'Huh ?'

Carlos frowns at me.

'Are you okay ? You look distracted'

I force a smile.

'I'm fine. I just... Maybe we should go check on Max ? He's been drinking way too much and it doesn't look like he's about to stop'

Lando looks in his direction and waves his hand.

'He's fine, he's just having fun. He deserves to think about nothing at least for tonight'

Carlos nods.

'Yeah, he probably has a lot on his mind. We'll get him home before he does anything too stupid'

I frown.

'So what, we're just going to leave him glued to that girl for the rest of the night ? He would never be doing that if it wasn't for alcohol. I'm going to go get him'

Before they can convince me otherwise, I get up and leave.

I know they only have good intentions but leaving him like this doesn't sit right with me.

What if he kissed her or did something he regret tomorrow ? What would Kelly think ? No matter how recent their breakup is, it's still going to hurt her feelings to know he replaced her that quickly.

Yes, I need to stop it for Kelly.

Definitely not because I can't personally stand the sight of it.