Chapter 29 : Charles

'So, how long have you guys been together ?'

I glare at Arthur from my seat.

We've been on the flight to Las Vegas for only fifteen minutes and he's already starting with the interrogation. He promised he wouldn't do that.

Such a liar.

I knew inviting Max to fly with us wasn't going to be a good idea, despite how much I wanted him to be there. My brother is very curious. And not in a cute way. More in an annoying insisting one where he has to know every detail of my dating life. It usually doesn't bother me that much but this time it's different. It's Max. He already knows him. Sort of. If hearing about how much I hated him nonstop and seeing him here and there counts.

Nonetheless, it still made that fact extra hard to tell him and Lorenzo about it. Especially since I had no idea what their reaction would be. Surprisingly, they reacted pretty well. As in, a bit too well. I mean you don't just smile and hug after someone confesses to you they started dating their rival plus enemy since childhood. It was just weird. But also, nice ? I don't even know.

'A week', Max answers shyly.

I look at him apologizingly.

'Yes, a week Arthur. Can we keep playing now ?'

I point at the chess game we stopped because he decided asking the most irrelevant questions was more important.

He waves me off.

'We have the whole flight to do that. Now, you don't mind if I get to know your boyfriend, do you ?'

I look at Max who's sitting in front of me, right next to Arthur.

He tries to act casual but I can tell by the way he's shifting in his seat that he's uncomfortable. Brilliant. He probably thinks my brother is crazy.

I sigh but don't add anything. It's actually a good thing if they get to know each other more. I want them to see him the way I do. But maybe not by grilling him like an interrogation.

'Great then !', he claps his hands before turning to Max.

'Tell me, apart from stealing my brother's chance of being a world champion, what do you do ?'

His blue eyes widen slightly but he recovers quickly and a genuine laugh escapes his lips.

'I think I like you'

My brother shrugs.

'You're not too bad yourself'

Max smiles and adds.

'To answer your question, I let him win at fifa sometimes to make him forgive me'

I jerk forward accusingly.

'You're such a liar ! I win because I'm simply better than you'

He grins at me competitively, making my cheeks hot.

'Guess we'll have to settle that down next time'

I smile.

'Be ready to get your ass beaten, sweetheart'

'I'm always ready'

I only notice we haven't left each other's gaze the whole time when Arthur starts coughing loudly.

'Hmm, you were right. We should keep playing chess after all'

Max and I smile victoriously at each other at the same time.

So making him uncomfortable was the solution all this time after all ?

•••

It's already media day in Las Vegas. There have been a lot of different opinions about the upcoming race here, mostly bad. Even from some drivers, like Max.
We talked about it together and I understand his point of view. He's never been someone really interested in the external aspects of being an f1 driver. All he wants is to get in the car and win. I do too, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the entertainment at least a little bit.

How cool is it to race in such an iconic city, going through all these famous places at a top speed ? I can't wait to experience it. Hopefully, it'll be even better than in the simulator.

I walk towards the place where my interview is going to be held, noticing Max right away. He's already busy answering question after question. I'm not surprised to see him here, the first thing I saw when I received the interview groups was that he was in the pen like me. That fact made me a bit more enthusiastic than usual to do them. We don't often get to be paired together but I'm glad it's the case this weekend.

I smile while observing him from a safe distance.

'Your interview will start right after Verstappen's'

I nod distractingly at my assistant.

I don't mind waiting for him. It's actually quite fascinating to see him so invested in his answers, to the point he still hasn't noticed my presence.

Before I get the time to pretend like I wasn't staring at him the whole time like a creep, I realize Max is calling me over.

'Charles, can you come in ?'

I frown confused but take a few steps to join him.

'Can you repeat the question ?', he asks the journalist.

I'm really curious to see what this could be about.

'Do you think you'll be able to get your tires nice and hot immediately the way Redbull does ?'

I turn to Max who seems to find the situation extra funny.

'It's like we massage the tires', he simulates a massage with a grin across his face.

I smile.

'You do massage the tires. But it's cold here so I don't know if we'll have to'

'More aggressive'

His poor attempt at mimicking makes me laugh lightly. Gosh, I knew being around him during the race weekends would be hard but I still underestimated it. I never thought it'd be so difficult to hide that we're together. I figured if we'd keep our distance just enough, it'd be fine.

But how can I stay away when all I want to do is talk and joke with him ?

'I think they still have the upper hand, for sure', I admit more seriously to the interviewer.

'In the race or qualifying ?'

I take the time to think about his question.

'I think both, but maybe in quali we never know'

I turn to Max.

'We think we are going to be stronger, what do you think ?'

His eyes dart from him to me.

'I don't think too much', he shrugs.

I smile and almost roll my eyes but I manage to control it. Typical Max's answer. He's being modest when we all know they'll be strong.

I hope they will.

'Alright, just drive ?'

He nods happily.

'Okay, let's see'

I turn to the interviewer who seems satisfied with our answers. He thanks Max for his time before focusing on me to start the interview.

Before leaving, Max places his hand on my lower back and whispers.

'See you soon, Charlie'

The next second, he's gone. Leaving me speechless like an idiot.

My first thought should be that hopefully, no one saw anything, but somehow the only thing my brain caught up from that is the Charlie part.

A lot of people call me Charlie. My family, friends, and even some drivers do. But why does it feel so different when he's the one saying it ? I bite my lip to hide my smile.

I might have liked the sound of that a bit too much.