Chapter 12 : Charles

After a good day with the team, I arrive at the hotel. To say I'm exhausted wouldn't even cover how I feel. Between the meetings, the simulator sessions and my training, I don't understand how my body is still standing.

But despite all that, I wouldn't cancel my plan with Max for anything in the world.

I jump in the shower and change into something more comfortable than my team gear.

I look at my watch. It's 7:50 p.m. and we agreed on 8:00 p.m. He should be here any minute now.

My heart rate goes up a little at the thought but I busy myself with getting everything ready. By that, I mean turning on the game and making sure the drinks in my fridge haven't disappeared in the last fifteen minutes I didn't check.

A moment later, I open the door to let him in. The scent of his perfume envelops me as I do so. It's a nice smell. A very nice one even.

'Hey', I greet him.

'Hi', he replies with a soft smile.

I let him go in first and take the opportunity to have a good look at him from head to toe.

He's still wearing his Red Bull merch, which tells me he probably arrived not too long ago. Guess we really do live the same life.

Still busy ogling him, I can't help but notice how everything seems to fit him. Like absolutely everything. He makes these boring clothes look... I can't even describe it.

'Make yourself at home', I say with a gesture towards the couch.

He sits down in the corner and leans over to grab the PS5 remote on the small table in front of him.

'I'm going to get some drinks. What would you like ?'

He turns his face to me.

'Oh, I'm not picky, don't worry. Just get me whatever you got'

Of course, he's not.

He's the opposite of that word. That guy could have any food or drink you put in front of him without a bat's eye. Me on the other hand ? Let's just say I have my preferences.

I open my mini-fridge, grab two Red Bulls and hand him the drink with a grin.

'Safe bet'

He laughs softly.

'Well, you definitely couldn't have gone wrong with that. I'm surprised you're drinking it though'

I shrug.

Frankly, I'm surprised too. The only reason I even thought about buying it is because I knew he liked it. I'm personally not that fond of it.

I take a seat next to him while he scrolls through the team options.

'I'm going with Barca, what about you ?'

'I always pick PSG'

He selects the team for both of us and we start the game.

Only ten minutes into it and I'm already losing 1-0. I really need to focus. But the fact that he's only a few centimeters away from me makes it quite a difficult task.

I sneak a quick glance in his direction. A line of concentration forms on his forehead. It's adorable how serious he is. It almost makes me want to let him win. Maybe I'll even get one of his smiles if I do.

What the fuck am I saying ? Of course I'm not going to let him win. What the hell. I've always hated losing. I hate it so much it puts me in the worst mood every time. That's what makes me a good F1 driver, I want to be the best in everything I do.