Chapter 9 : Charles

I open my eyes after probably the longest nap I've ever taken in my life. But a very much-needed one. The 6 hours of jet lag are to blame. Making us travel from Japan to Qatar in such a short time should be illegal. But once again, there's not much I can do about it except to rest. A lot.

With a big sigh, I stretch my whole body, feeling a lot better now.

I check my phone. It's 6 pm. I arrived at my hotel 3 hours ago after an almost 13-hour flight. Many fans were waiting for me in front of the building. I tried to take as many pictures with them as I could and to sign all the things that they wanted me to sign for them.

Despite my exhaustion, I was more than happy to do it. Putting in that little bit of effort is nothing compared to the amount of love that I get from them throughout the year. I'm very thankful.

I finally find the courage to rise from the bed. Time to be more productive. I think for a few seconds before settling on going for a run. A good way to wake me for good.

I grab my car keys as soon as I'm ready.

If I don't want to be recognized, I can't just go downtown. Fortunately, this is not my first time here, so I know the perfect spot away from the agitation.

Once I'm in the corridor, I decide to check out Carlos's room. This hotel is booked by the team every year, so a lot of Ferrari employees stay here, including my teammate. We went running together last year so I decide to ask him if he'd like to come.

As soon as I reach his door, I knock. After a bit of waiting, it finally opens. I'm greeted by a zombie-like version of Carlos. His hair is a mess and his eyes have big dark circles under them.

'Huh ? Charles ?'

I try my best to hold back a laugh. Damn, he looks like he just came out of a coma.

'What do you want ?', he asks with squinted eyes.

'I'm going for a run. I was wondering if you'd like to come. But given your look right now, I guess it's a no ?'

He rubs his eyes.

'Oh. Well, yeah, I just woke up from my nap. I honestly could've slept another 2 hours if you hadn't come'

'Sorry', I grimace. 'I didn't think you'd be as exhausted as me'

'I am. But running might actually be a good idea. I'll probably end up spending the day rotting in that bed if I stay here. Just give me 10 minutes so I can get ready'

He invites me in so I can wait for him. I make myself at home by sitting on the huge sofa in the corner of the room. The decoration is very similar to mine. Spacious, luxurious, but most of all comfortable. This hotel is definitely on my list of favorites.

I scroll through my phone while he gets ready in the bathroom. Most of my notifications are irrelevant except a text from Alex I missed.

'Hey babe. Are you at the hotel yet ? '

Fuck. It was sent 2 hours ago. I hope she doesn't think I'm dead or something. Although that nap was definitely close to it.

I start typing.

'Yes, all good. What about you, everything okay there ? (sorry for the late reply, took a nap 😘)'

She went back to Monaco after the Japan Grand Prix because she had to attend an important event related to her studies. But she should be joining me later this week.

I often feel bad that I have to keep making her travel so far. I know it's probably not easy for her either. But she's always been so supportive of me. She never complained about it.