Chapter 28 : Max

'What's up with you ?'

I look up from my phone to see Lando gauging me while biting on a protein bar.

We decided to train together since he also stayed in Brazil this week.

'Nothing. Why do you say that ?'

He frowns.

'You're acting weird'

My heart starts beating faster.

'I'm not acting weird'

He laughs.

'You totally are. Who's the lucky girl ?'

He jerks his face in the direction of my phone.

Fuck.

'No one'

I put my phone down on the bench where I was sitting to take a break, ready to bring this conversation to an end. Apparently, he wasn't because he decided to snap it before I got to stop him.

'Give it back ! You fucking-'

I try my best to get my phone back but the moment I hear his laugh die, I know it's too late.

He stands still for a second, reading the name of the person who was texting me over and over again.

'Charles ?'

He turns to face me.

'Why would you smile like an idiot while talking to Charles ? And why is he calling you babe ?'

I roll my eyes at the stupidity of his questions. It honestly couldn't be clearer than that.

I take my phone back with a sigh.

'We should probably go back to training. We've extended the break for way too long'

I start walking towards the treadmill but he places his hand on my chest to stop me.

'Wow wow wow. Do you really think I'm in the mood for training after this ?'

He points at my phone dramatically.

'These are just texts. It's not that big of a deal'

'Not that big of a deal ?! There were so many hearts in that conversation it made me sick'

I laugh lightly.

The expression on his face made me lose my seriousness. He's being so dramatic about it, we don't even put that many hearts.

'So ? Aren't you going to elaborate ?'

I take a deep breath before admitting.

'We're together'

'Like together together or ... ?'

I nod with a small smile. The proud feeling of being able to confirm it still not wearing off.

'Yes'

Before I even get the time to process what's happening, I feel Lando's arms surrounding me.

'Oh my god, two of my favorite people together ! I could say I didn't see it coming but that would be a lie let's be real'

I frown at his comment. What's up with people ? Why is everyone acting like it was obvious it would happen ? We hated each other for fuck sake.

He breaks the hug and gives me a tap on the shoulder with a bright smile.

'Okay now, I can go back to my cardio session. We'll talk about it later though'

I smile back.

The fact that he took it so lightly doesn't surprise me at all considering it's Lando, but it still manages to relieve me in a way. Even if I keep saying I don't care what people will say, I do care if those are the people I care about. A small part of me can't help but wonder if maybe it'll have an impact on my relationships. What if some of my friends or my family started acting differently towards me ?

The first thing that comes to my mind is my father. I never really had a conversation with him about his thoughts on homosexuality but I don't need to. I know he wouldn't jump in my arms if he found out I like guys. That's not what I want though, I don't expect it to be an easy thing to accept. I just... I just want him to be okay with it. To treat me the same way. I do believe he could do that, but I'm afraid to find out how long it will take.

I take out my phone again to see if Charles replied to the text I sent him a few minutes ago. We were talking about the fifa game we played the other day and I might have mentioned how much he sucked.
To put it mildly.

'You're so annoying'

I laugh out loud without realizing it. What did I know exactly what he was going to reply ?

'Yep, and that's why you like me so much'

He replies with a rolling-eye emoji but I'd  bet everything I have that his dimples are showing on the other side of the screen.

'I do. I don't know what that says about me'

I smile to myself but recover quickly. I really need to put it together. I act like a teenager with his first crush. It's embarrassing. I've never been like this with anyone. Ever. But with him, it's just... I can't help it.

When I'm not with him, I spend my time wishing I was. It's honestly ridiculous.

'It says that you have a good taste'

His response comes quite quickly.

'I sure do'

I force myself not to look in the mirrors surrounding me. Not willing to have the confirmation that I'm blushing.

'I need to go otherwise I'll get scolded by my coach, but talk to you soon <3'

'Have a good session, and say hi to Lando for me <3'

I like his message and put my phone back in my pocket.

We've been together for only a few days but I'm already the happiest I've ever been.

We spent most of them together. Playing games, padel, sim racing, eating. And all of that while talking. Over and over again. About everything. The races, our families, our fears.

Everything I learn about him makes me like him even more. If that's even possible. I've never felt so comfortable talking about anything with someone. He understands me in a way even I don't get.

It's scary but also, so so incredible.