Chapter 34 : Charles

Max and I managed to secure the front row for the race. I'm happier than usual that we did since it's a good opportunity to prove to his father that we will not have an easy fight. It's our last chance before the winter break.

I want to make the best out of it.

As ready as I'll ever be, I align my car on the starting grid. There's a lot to win or to lose tonight. We're tight with Mercedes for the second place in the constructors championship. I can't let them win it.
Despite our difficult season, we still have a chance to prove to everyone that we're still here to fight.

The red lights appear one by one, making my heart rate grow. I take a deep breath. Let's do this.

One last time.

I push on the pedal with full force, sending my body backwards. My start is good but not enough to catch up to Max who's securing his pole position until the first corner.

I maintain the distance between us pretty small, keeping the pressure as high as possible.

The first lap goes pretty smoothly, the two of us still at the front. Piastri, who started p3, is still in my rear mirrors but at a safe distance. Allowing me to focus on my annoyingly fast boyfriend.

Managing to get in his DRS, I make my first attempt at overtaking him from the inside. Our cars get dangerously close in the action, neither of us willing to let the other one pass.

That's the beauty of racing against him, I know how far we're both ready to go. We'll race on the limits but still fairly.

My car gets a few centimeters in front of his but it's still not enough as he takes the lead again at the exit of the corner. It's going to be harder than expected but I won't give up.

Twenty laps in and our positions haven't changed. We've both just pitted for medium tires. Him coming out in front.

A lot of drivers' position have switched. Piastri now dropped down to p6 while Russel took the third place. He has a lot of pace today but I'm still confident we'll manage to get a podium.

Hopefully not as third.

•••

The race passes as quickly as the speed of the cars. It doesn't feel like I'm currently starting the last lap, yet here we are.

I'm happy with my position. Max is without a doubt going to win in a few seconds but I'm close behind. That in itself is a good achievement. This was the confirmation that we are capable of fighting redbull. We just need to work harder to get there.

Today, second place is satisfying enough though. The team has done a great job along with Carlos and I. He crossed the finish line sixth, which is enough for ferrari to be second in the rankings.

My competitive side is still a bit disappointed to not have overtaken Max just for the fun of it but seeing him finish the season on such a high compensates it.

He absolutely deserves everything and I couldn't be prouder of him.

Once my car is parked in front of the p2 board, I get out to go congratulate Georges. He hasn't been on the podium in a long time so I can't even imagine how happy he must feel right now. Even though the huge smile on his face gives me a pretty good idea.

I then turn to Max, who was already coming to me.

'Congrats Charlie'

He gives me a tight hug.

'Congrats Max'

We break the moment pretty quickly to not alert anyone. Our relationship is still a secret even though, considering the amount of rumors I've read about us in the press, I'm not sure we're doing a good job at hiding it.

I don't really care to be honest. I used to feel so bad every time I heard something. Wondering if people would hate on us or the contrary, if it wouldn't change anything. But I realized it did me more wrong than anything to care about their opinions. We're together and happy.

That's all that matters.

The three of us do our post-race interviews and pose for the official picture before heading for the cooldown room.

It's nice to have a few minutes to relax before the podium. We're still filmed so I can't really say or act the way I'd want to though. If I could, I'd probably go kiss Max and talk to him about everything.

The last subject being the race.

But instead, I comment on the few race clips on the screen with Georges while Max is sitting on his chair, busy drying his hair with a small towel.

They soon call us one by one to go on the podium.

I'm the second to go out there. With a smile and wave to the fans, I join the left platform reserved for me. The atmosphere is incredible. I really enjoy racing here, it feels special.

Everyone turns as they announce Max's arrival on the microphone. I look back too, excited to see him coming. He arrives with a big smile, the sight putting one on my face as well. He looks happy.

After waving to the fans, he takes his place in between Georges and I. His eyes land on mine with complicity. I know this was his way of congratulating me without even having to ask. I smile at him as an answer.

Once the Dutch and the Austrian anthem are over, we receive our trophies. Max shows his in the air proudly as the crowd cheers grow louder.

I clap for him proudly.

Well done, Max.

After thanking the FIA members, we all reach for our champagne bottles. I grab mine quicker than the others and go straight to Max. Spraying him from head to toe while laughing. He does the same with a smile.

At this moment, it feels like we're the only one there. The noise and everything around me become blurry as I only focus on him. Who would've thought we'd be here one day ? Just him and I, at the top of our racing careers and together. No more hate, no more denial. Just love.

So much love.

I put down the bottle when the celebration is over and close the distance between us. My arms wrap around him without thinking. My whole body relaxes at the sensation.

He stands still at first, probably shocked that I'm doing that in public, but ends up diving into the hug. His arms so tight around me, there's no way I could escape from them even if I tried.

Thankfully, there's nowhere else I'd rather be.

'We're still filmed you know ?', he whispers in my ear.

I nod against his shoulder.

'I know, I don't care'

'Okay', he simply says softly.

'I love you, Max'

He breaks the hug to look me in the eyes. The surprise I see in his almost makes me want to pretend I didn't say what I've just said. That it was his imagination. But I don't. Because there's nothing more true than those three little words.

I love him.

And I want him to know that. Even if he might not be there yet it's fine. I love him enough for both of us.

His lips extend in a genuine smile.

'I love you too'