Chapter 13 : Charles

It's qualifying day in Qatar. The pressure is at its peak. But the excitement I feel is unmatched.

Compared to the previous grand prix, the practice session went well, giving me the confidence I desperately needed.

I close my racing suit, put on my gloves then give a quick hug to Alex. She landed this morning in the city. Most of the time, she comes on saturday to watch the highlights of the weekend. But since this is a sprint weekend, she arrived one day earlier to not miss the race qualifying session.

I'm happy she's here. Supporting me, cheering for me. It gives me a supplemental boost.

I jump in the car without wasting another second.

Time to show what I can do.

•••

I managed to secure the second line with a p3, contradicting all expectations. I can't believe it. Despite the car being more reliable than usual, I still wouldn't have expected such a good result.

It feels good. Knowing you've done the job right. Making the team proud.

I park the car in front of the 'three' sign, alongside Max and George's. Respectively p1 and p2. They did a really good job too. Making it hard to do much better than I did.

Georges congratulates me with a quick handshake that I reciprocate. I then find myself in front of Max who came to do the same.

He smiles widely before offering me his hand.

'Good job Leclerc'

I take it, without being able to hide the smile growing on my lips.

'Good job too Verstappen'

It feels nice to be in the top 3 with him. I wish I had a car that would allow it to happen more often.

We all take part in the obligations we have to fulfill as top-3 finishers after every qualifying session. Post-quali interviews, the official picture followed by another longer interview.

Really just a bunch of interviews.

As soon as we finish the first one of the list, I go in front of the screen where the picture will be taken.
Max is the first one to join me. He places himself next to me while sipping on his redbull. He really needs to be buried with that can, it's ridiculous how often he has it in his hands.

I smile at the thought.

We naturally fall into a conversation while we wait for Georges.

'So, how was your quali session ? I just saw the results, it was close'

I nod.

It was really close with Hamilton. Only a few millimeters of seconds separating our two chronos.

'Yeah, it was. But thankfully, it ended up in my favor'

'I'm glad it did'

I can't refrain from smirking.

'Oh, are you ? Did you miss me ?'