Chapter 19 : Max

After running out the door, I joined my father outside. He was waiting for me near the car. The line on his forehead I could see from a distance told me everything I needed to know.

He was angry.

I sighed at the thought of what the car ride was going to be like. Him reprimanding me for every single mistake I made while I'll just nod. Because he'd be right.

No matter how painful it was to admit it, he always was.

•••

I was right. He did reprimand me the whole way back home. And I did nod to every single thing he said.

From the moment I attached my seatbelt, to the moment we arrived. I didn't even listen to most of what he said. It became such a normal occurrence in my life, I didn't even let it get to me anymore.

Because every single criticism that came out of his mouth was the same I already made to myself a hundred times before. He didn't realize it though. That the standards I set for myself were always going to be higher than his. I wanted to be the best more than anything. Yet he still thought I wasn't putting my whole into this.

I was. That was exactly why I stopped talking to Charles. Because I couldn't be on top if I started getting friendly with him. Or anyone else for that matter. All those kids were nice, I appreciated them, but it didn't erase the fact that they were my rivals. And if I wanted to be the best, I couldn't let my emotions get in the way of winning. Whatever they were.

So that's exactly what I did. I stopped all interactions with my monegasque rival. No more glares, no more insults, no more fights.

He wasn't worth it.

That's what I tried to convince myself. Days after days. Competition after competition. But it only made me feel...sad. I didn't understand why.

I hated it.

I hated how it affected me more than anything else. I hated how he still looked happy, smiling at everyone except me. I know that's what I wanted but why didn't he try to talk to me after ? Why did he just let me ignore him without doing anything ? Why did it look so easy for him to move on from what happened while I felt like my heart was dying a little bit more every second ?

•••

The sound of a notification distracts me.

I sit on the nearest bench and take my phone to look at it. It's a message from the manager of the Monaco Padel Club to remind me of the tournament I have to take part in 2 days.

Fuck.

I completely forgot about that. I signed it weeks ago with some friends since we thought it'd be a good idea to improve. Now, I regret it. More than ever. Because guess who else participates in this competition ? Charles. Yes, the same guy who hasn't given me any signs of being alive for the past seven days to be precise.

Not that I was counting.

'Who is it ?'

I look up to see Daniel leering at my phone curiously.

We decided to go for an early run together through the hills of Monte Carlo.

'Hmm, it's Tom. He just texted me about the padel tournament'

He smiles and sits next to me while still catching his breath.

'Cool. Why are making that face then ?'

His perspicacity has always been something I loved about him but right about now, I'm starting to reconsider.

'I'm not making any face. It's just...'