Chapter 11

Symphony didn't know how long she was following the sound of the water, but she was happy when the stream finally came into view. She was exhausted from walking and needed to rest. Starlett had gone quiet too, which Symphony assumed was from being so tired. She knew that she had been gone for quite awhile because when she left the house it was a little after 10 in the morning and now the sky was pitch black.

She stopped by the stream and sat down. Lucky for her there was a big tree nearby that she was able to sit against. Thankfully it was warm out, so she didn't need to break out the blankets. As she sat, she looked through her backpack for a snack that she had packed and ate that while she tried to silence her thoughts.

As she tried to make sense of the situation, she was unaware of the danger that was waiting for her, hidden in the shadows of the trees, a group of rogues had been following her for several hours and were waiting to make their move. They knew she was alone and from the looks of her they figured her to be an easy target. They figured they would attack as soon as she drifted off to sleep.

Symphony finished eating and was starting to feel herself fight to stay awake. She did a quick scan and saw nothing around her besides the trees and the sky. She got herself comfortable using her backpack as a pillow and started to drift off to sleep.

Suddenly, she was alerted to something come at her. She heard the twigs break before she saw anything. Starlett was on high alert instantly.

"Let me take over" Starlett said.

Instantly Symphony shifted and Starlett took a fighting stance. She smelled them almost instantly, rogues. She let out an earth-shattering growl to warn them away, but they kept coming. Once they were in Starlett's view, she counts 5 rogues. An easy task she thought to herself. She heard the rogues snarl at her but she didn't cower down like they expected her to, she met them head on.

It was a taxing fight but Starlett managed to defeat them. She wanted to kill them but Symphony would have none of that. She let them go with a warning to others to stay out of her way or they would meet a fate worse than death.

Starlett let Symphony take back over after she made sure it was safe. Symphony about collapsed due to the energy that they just exerted. She found her bookbag and snuggled back up against the tree. She closed her eyes and drifted into a restless slumber.

She was awoken to the sun shining high over her head. She wasn't sure what time it was but she was still exhausted. She knew however, that she needed to keep moving or Alexander would find her and she didn't know what would happen if he did. She didn't think he would hurt her but didn't want to find out.

Part of her felt as if she should let him explain himself but the other part wanted to rip into him with her bare hands for doing what he did. How could he not tell her the truth about everything he had put her life in danger because of what she was, he should've just told her when she received the first threat. She was hurt angry and disappointed.

She stood up and walked over to the stream. She cupped her hands and scooped up some water. She drank some and splashed the rest over her face to try to wake herself up. She then started back on her way, she still wasn't sure where she was going but knew she had to find somewhere to get food and maybe shelter for the night.

Just before nightfall, Symphony found herself overlooking a small village. She wasn't sure what it was called but it looked inviting. She made her way along the road, all the while getting strange looks from the villagers. She stopped when she came across a little inn. She went inside to see if they had any rooms.

As she entered the lobby the noise she had heard from outside had stopped and everyone stared at her. She began to feel uncomfortable but was greeted by an elderly lady behind the desk.

"Pay them no mind sweet child" the lady said "we are just not used to strangers coming in to the village. How may I help you"

"I was wondering if you may have any rooms available for the night and a hot meal. I won't stay long just need some rest and food and I will be on my way in the morning" Symphony said, trying to be as polite as she could.

"We do have a room available for just tonight but its yours if you want it and I can have someone send up some food for you as well" the lady said with a smile.

Symphony handed her some money but the lady refused to take it saying that Symphony looked worse for ware and would need that more than she would. Symphony thanked the lady and took the key to the room.

A short while later she heard a soft knock on the door. She looked through the peephole and saw it was a young girl with a tray of food. She opened the door and the girl set the tray on the table. Symphony thanked her and sat down to eat. She had noticed the tray was stacked with all sorts of things, she was grateful. She quickly ate and stuffed the rest of the food in her backpack, she knew she would need it for when she left.

She spied a bathroom in the room that had a bathtub. She decided to take a bath and let herself relax for a moment before she fell asleep. As she soaked in the tub she let her mind wander and wondered if Alexander was looking for her or if he even knew she was gone. She quickly got that thought out of her mind.

She got out of the tub and dried herself off. She looked at herself in the mirror and chuckled, she was a sight that was for sure. She then made her way to the bed and snuggled under the blankets. She quickly fell into a dreamless slumber.