carl buford is dead...finally

third person's pov

it has been a couple weeks and sydney's finally healed which is a good thing because she is over it. it's also been a couple days since sydney's belated birthday party, which is a good thing as everyone's lives were getting back on track. sydney moved her few stuff that she had packed to stay st derek's house and moved it back to the house.

maeve is finally out of the hospital too, but she's on bed rest and to take it easy. sydney was being on call for maeve which was fine. as the only times where she wasn't with maeve she was in school. spencer got his position back which made sydney a little sad as it was fun taking over. hotch promised the girl a job when she finished high school which is in a couple months. which she is happy for to say the least. she wouldn't need to be anywhere else. he said that letting her come on cases will be the practice of the job and what it entails.

rossi had taken the girl to surprise derek as he's been working on. as when sydney wouldn't be in school and or on cases she and derek would tag team restoring house. he doesn't like the term renovate, but restore. sydney had to explain that to rossi ten times. hopefully he got the hint but sydney isn't biting her tongue. knowing rossi he'd joke that derek is renovating.

"hey, we thought we'd lend you a hand." rossi says holding a bottle of alcohol in his yand as derek smirked seeing the two. well sydney.

"ah, rossi, shorty, my two favorite people." derek says as sydney smiled at derek finally being her happy self for the first time in a while. everything just seems to be going the way they're supposed to be. "brought a little something to drink. i like that." derek adds to what he previously said.

"well, you can't do renovation without a little bevvy." rossi says as sydney shakes her head with a smile.

"i'm just here since derek harrassed me on the phone." sydney says as derek gave her a look which made her grin like the cheshire cat from alice in wonderland.

"wait a minute, now. you know i don't renovate. i restore. there's a big difference. i actually think there used to be some shutters here once upon a time. i'm hoping they're upstairs in the attic. i want to see what i can do with them." derek explains to rossi.

"well, why don't we start with a couple glasses?" rossi suggests as derek smiled. "that i can definitely do." he adds.

suddenly sydney's phone rang as rossi raised a brow at the girl. "it's penny." she says as she put the blonde woman on speaker. "say it away penny." sydney says with a small smile as she takes a sip of her iced coffee.

"hey, pretty lady, boss has ordered me to tell you pretty people that we have a disturbance in our lives." penny says as rossi looks at sydney confused.

"we have a case." derek says understanding what penelope said as rossi then looked at derek.

"why couldn't she say that the first time." rossi says as sydney's grin grows.

"i'm trying a new thing with syd, that it gets weirder everytime i call." penelope says as sydney nods her head confirming.

"why?" rossi asks as sydney gives him a look as she stuck out her tongue.

"because she can that's why. besides it's cute." sydney says as penelope smiled on the other line.

"see you in a few." penelope says as she hung up and sydney looked at the two men.