well that happened but on the plus side, i met a friend

third person's pov

for the past two weeks, sydney has been acting weird. not her typical self. almost antsy. like someone was watching her every move, and to make it worse, is that someone was.

spencer walked towards maeve's apartment as he had a case that lasted the entire night so sydney stayed there.

he knocked and stayed there for at leave five minutes and still no one opened the door. he tried the doorknob and then the door opened. he knew maeve would never leave her door unlocked like that.

he opened the door and looked around and what he saw made him slightly freaked out. the table had been broken, along with glass from a vase and there was a good amount of blood in the floor.

then his phone began to ring and be picked it up not looking who it was from. "hello?" he answered.

"hello, i have a call from...." then suddenly a computerized voice popped up. "adam worth."

the operator came back up. "do you accept the charges?" the voice spooked spencer but he didn't hesitate when he answered. "yes."

"go ahead with your call, please." there's a beep while spencer is slightly panicking. "hello. i'm still here." the computerized voice comes back and utters a single word: "zugzwang."

spencer took a pause and breathed out. "i'm sorry, can you please repeat that?"

"zugzwang." then before anything else is said the line disconnects.

panic rising in him, spencer urgently calls hotch and told him to meet him at the bau because he suspect something happened to sydney.

spencer had waited for hotch to arrive to the bau, and met him up in his office. "i got here as quickly as i could. what's wrong?" hotch told as be walks up the steps. "i think sydney is missing?" when Spencer said that hotch's heart dropped as he pulled spencer into his office.

"what do you mean sydney's missing?" hotch questions.

"she stayed over at maeve's apartment and when i got there her apartment was trashed, a table broken, and there was blood." spencer says. "she's been acting antsy lately."

"has she told you anything? anything about someone following her? when was the last time you texted or called her?" hotch asked as spencer shook his head. "the last time i talked to her was last night, they got back from dinner."

"how do you know she's missing? maybe maeve left her apartment a mess." hotch asked as spencer shook his head again. "She doesn't leave her apartment a mess, she has a spot for everything."

"before we told anyone we were together, we always addressed our letters to pseudonyms. as maeve had her history of getting kidnapped and things of that nature, she didn't want to take that chance. she did that in case the letters fell into the wrong hands." spencer revealed.

hotch looked at the paper in front of him. "your, dr. joseph bell?" he asked as spencer nods his head. "the real-life inspiration for sherlock holmes. and that codename is how i know she's in trouble. the voice on the phone identified himself as adam worth. that was the american criminal that arthur conan doyle based the character of moriarty on." spencer explains.