FEBRUARY 7

February 7, 2024

It'd been a week. A week full of adjustment.

Ace was getting used to driving this big ass truck around. Trin was getting used to him not being there all the time. It really wasn't that bad, but she definitely missed him. They texted, they FaceTimed, but of course it wasn't like being in the presence of one another.

Valentine's Day was approaching. And it was going to be their first time celebrating it as, well, a couple. Ace's mind was racing just to think of something special to do for her, as he would just be getting back home and it was her first Valentine's Day in romantic relationship with him.

And he wanted to celebrate this one as her boyfriend.

She was simple, yet extraordinary.

It didn't take much to make her smile. She liked nice things, but they didn't have to be expensive or "luxury". She was always appreciative, whether she really
liked it or not.

Ace was currently in Chicago. He wasn't where he and Trin grew up, but he was there. It brought back lots of memories, even though he wouldn't be there for long and was just passing through to drop off a load.

He hadn't forgotten his past because he knew that it shaped him to be who he was and where he was in life. They weren't all the way out of the dark, but the light was coming. Life was getting less stressful. They knew where their next meal would come from and they knew that they had better days ahead of them.

Trin hadn't forgotten her past either. Her childhood was nothing but videos of the worst moment of her life, playing over and over again until she wanted to rip her eyebrows out. The pain was still there, and the image was still engraved into her mind like brand on a cow.

Everyday she looked at her long locs, or her silky brown skin, or even her mocha brown eyes, she saw Trina. Not everyday did she see the lively, perseverant go-getter, but sometimes the lifeless corpse lying on the floor that used to be her.

No, not all of their days were good, but they hoped that the Sun would shine another day, and they would have another chance.

___

"I miss you so much, Trin," Ace told her, sleepily, while she studied for an upcoming test she had. "I miss you too, Ace," she smiled. "I got a question to ask you," he said. His words were going to just start falling out of the hold that was his mouth. "Anything. Shoot," she said.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" he asked, seconds later processing what he'd asked her.

She dropped her pen and looked at her phone. Her mouth fell agape and her eyes widened. "Try that again," she said, in a serious tone. Ace sat up. "I think I asked you to be my girl," he said nervously.

"I really love you, Triniti. And I'm tired of being your friend. I want you to be mine. I wanna go to another level with our relationship," he said, his heart beating out of his chest. She swallowed hard, yet to give him an answer.

"Are you sure that you're ready for that, Ace? To me, that's a huge step. I-I love you, but I don-I don't..." she stammered. "Is it a no, Trin?" he asked, lowly. "No, no, no, no! I-...Why would you ask me this?" she facepalmed herself.

"Because I am in love with you. Trin, I swear that I would never hurt you. I just wanna take that official step with you. I wanna call you my girl and love you like my girl," he explained. There was a moment of blank silence. They both stared into space.

"Yes," she sighed. His eyes widened. "Yes, what?" he asked. "I'll be your girlfriend, Ace," she chuckled. He started cheesing and sighed a sigh of relief. "You scared the shit out of me, Trin,"he said.

"You? You shocked me so bad with that. It wasn't that I was hesitant, or maybe it's because I was, just being honest, I just wanted to make sure you were ready," she said. "I promise I am," he said.

"I love you," they said at the same time. They both bursted into laughter.

For a minute, Trin was just scared. Scared of being hurt again, this time by a romantic partner. She prayed that when she found the perfect lover, that she wouldn't her past years and years of trauma affect that.

Trauma is a dangerous thing. It could break anything apart, but only if you're not strong enough to endure it.

Why is trauma such a dangerous thing?

It changes people. Their responses to things, they way they think, alone. They're constantly in a mode of trying to protect themselves from something dangerous, and sometimes, they don't realize that they're not in a position where pain is coming their way. Someone who doesn't quit understand them will leave.

Trauma can make a person feel like they're not good or worthy enough.

Ace was different though. He always made sure Trin knew that she was the most beautiful girl on the planet. That she was the smartest. And that she was the one. His words gave her so much strength on the days where she felt like she wouldn't make it because the grief was so heavy.

And although she wouldn't communicate this with him, he knew. Because he knew her. Like a book, front to back. Like the back of his hand. Better than herself sometimes.

Making her his girlfriend was a step that he knew he needed to take. And it was more important than it may have seemed.

And oh, how they would've loved to embrace each other in the moment. They just added that to the list of affection they would give in another.

Ace was her first boyfriend, even the first guy she let in. She had sheltered herself for so long, trying to avoid her own history repeating itself. She was inexperienced, but she was smart. She'd be okay.

___