ᴍᴀʏ 22

ᴘʀᴇsᴇɴᴛ ᴅᴀʏ

ᴍᴀʏ 22, 2023

17 year old Triniti walks home from her job. Still in that same old dangerous city of Chicago.

"Pink + White" by Frank Ocean blasted through her Air Pods.

She was now a senior in highschool. She lived with her aunt on her dad's side. She had been since she was 10.

They didn't treat her like family. She had to provide for herself.

They believed that her father didn't do all of what they said he did. He had spent 5 years in prison already when he killed himself in his cell.

She was a quiet girl now. She no longer smiled that bright smile like she used to. She felt like she had nothing to smile for.

She now had locs down her back and her brown skin glowed. She was the spitting image of her mother.
That was part of why her dad's side of the family didn't like her.

Her aunt just took her in for the money.

Triniti would paint in her room. That and music was her therapy.

She didn't have very many friends. In fact, she only had one. Ace. He was her very best friend. He would comfort her and made her feel loved by someone.

They went to the same school, worked the same job, did everything together. When she wasn't with Ace, she was alone.

Ace didn't let anything happen to her. He would fight for her. Argue for her. He was her only protector.

Ace was more of an extrovert than she was. He would go to parties and get drunk. He would crack jokes with everybody. And every girl wanted him.

Trin had never had a boyfriend, simply because she would have to let her guard down. She didn't let her guard down for anything.

She always thought of her mom's story. She fell in love with a man, and that man happened to be the last of her.

"Be better than me," her mother always said. It wasn't a day that went by that Triniti didn't think about that saying. That saying lived through her each and every day.

There was a tap on her shoulder. She damn near jumped out of her skin. She quickly turned in the direction that she felt the tap on. It was Ace. She sighed.

He took the right AirPod out of her ear and held it in his hand. "Trin, what I tell you about these things being so loud in your ear when you're walking alone?" Ace slightly scolded her.

"Sorry," she said.

He then put his long arm around her shoulder.

"What you been up to?" he asked.

"Same ol' thing. You?" she asked.

"You know that fine girl I met at that one party? Man, I went over there and got them cheeks!" Ace boasted.

"Ew, Ace," Trin laughed.