ᴍᴀʏ 31

ᴍᴀʏ 31, 2023

"The fuck you mean you can't watch Samiya? You don't never do shit!" Zamara yelled at Trin as she got ready for graduation.

She didn't say anything, she just let Zamara run her mouth. The only thing that was on her mind was remembering her Valedictorian speech.

"ZAMARA, SHUT THE FUCK UP! You prolly could've found yo baby daddy while you doing all that talking! Triniti is graduating at the top of her damn class. Bitch, you was popping pussy. Why don't you go sit that fishy ass down and watch yo own damn daughter," Ace snapped on her. He and Trin were on FaceTime because he was helping her memorize her speech.

Zamara just looked shocked and left out of the room. They wouldn't exchange words with Ace, ever. Trin didn't get shocked by it anymore.

"Trin, you got start sticking up for yourself. Why you let them run all over you like that?" Ace asked. This wasn't his first time asking her this. And her answer would always be "I don't know".

"Because I just need a roof over my head until we can get the fuck outta here, Ace. I would rather listen to them yell bullshit in my ear than be on the streets," she said calmly. He just shook his head.

Ace failed to realize how different they were sometimes. Trin didn't have the connections he did. If she went against her cousin or aunt, she would get put the fuck out.

Trin didn't argue or change words. She took in all of what was said and be quiet or she would completely tune out the bullshit. She wouldn't fight either. And she didn't raise her voice.

She never let anyone see how angry she was. And she never let anyone see her cry. Ace could count on one hand how many times he'd seen her cry. She knew how to suppress her emotions in front of someone if she didn't know how to do anything else.

***

"We may now welcome our class of 2023's Valedictorian, Triniti Soleil Kyngston, to the stage," the principle of their school stated on the mic.

Surprisingly, everyone clapped for her. She didn't think they would.

She stood from her seat and walked onto the stage. She was so nervous. She sat her speech on the podium and looked up into the audience. She spotted Ace so that she would calm down a bit. When she saw him, she smiled because he was the only one still clapping.

"Hi, everyone. My name is Triniti and I must say that I am so grateful for and proud of my fellow senior graduates. And I am so honored to be Valedictorian of our class," she started off.

"I didn't have the easiest childhood and I don't have the easiest life now, but I get up each and every day despite of how I feel and I press my way to do all of what I have to get done."

"Highschool is definitely one of the hardest times of your life. There are going to be people that are your biggest supporters and your biggest haters, but you have to remember that you're not here for them. You're here for yourself."

"In this highschool, I've learned that my future can be filled with more than what we see everyday in our own communities and households even. In this highschool, I've seen people that I aspire to be and I've seen people that I would never think to be like. I speak for everyone when I say this: There are people that told me what I could be and how great I could do in whatever I choose to do. And there's been people that told me that I would be good for nothing. Don't worry, I won't say any names."