Chapter 9

*Narrators POV*

Ever since last Friday, Reid has been trying to catch a moment alone with JJ to talk. His plan wasn't going too well. Every time he tried to start a conversation with her, she would blow him off, almost like she didn't want to talk to him. He tried to talk to JJ on the jet on the way to Albany, but she just avoided him. Right when he got to the police station, him and Morgan were immediately sent to the ME's office. When they got back, the whole team was there, so Reid didn't have a chance to talk one on one with her. Later that day, Hotch had sent them both to check out a crime scene together. Reid finally had a chance to talk to her alone. JJ drove on the way to the crime scene, so he had a chance to start up a conversation with her. For the first 5 minutes of the ride, JJ just tried to make small talk to fill the silence. It wasn't working though. A little bit after that, Reid finally decided to break the silence and ask her about what happened the other day. "Um... JJ, do you remember what happened on Friday night? I know you were with me and I was just wondering," he said to her. That question surprised her, and she wasn't really expecting him to talk about it. "What do you mean?" She said as she turned to look at him for a second. "I mean I don't really remember what happened last Friday night. I remember that we were both out drinking at a bar and I got really drunk but... I don't quite remember anything after that. Somehow I got home and I was just wondering- what happened?" He asked her as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat. She thought for a second, choosing her words carefully. She was glad that he didn't remember their kiss or anything that happened after that, but now he wants to know answers to questions she doesn't quite know the answer to herself. "Well, um, you had a little too much to drink, so I called you a cab and helped to get you home. I wanted to come with you to make sure you were okay because you were pretty drunk. After that, you fell asleep on your couch and I left," JJ explained him, making the lie up as she went along. Well, technically it wasn't really a lie, but it wasn't the truth. She just wanted to find a way where she didn't have to tell him about what really happened. She turned to look at him for just a second to see his reaction. He was thinking and she could see the wheels turning in his head. "That's it? I mean, there was nothing more? I thought we kissed?" He asked skeptically as the night started to come back to him. Now that question really surprised her. JJ slammed on the brakes and stopped the car. They both looked each other in the eyes. She could hear her heart beating in her chest. He knew. This was it. Her life would be over and she would have to tell him the whole story, and he wouldn't be too happy about it. Maybe she didn't have to tell him the truth, though. At least, not the whole truth. "Yeah, there was a little kiss, but that was it and it meant nothing, nothing. No one can know about it," she told him sternly as she accelerated the car. He hesitated for a moment to think. Reid was really happy that his short flashback hadn't failed him, but he was also disappointed that she doesn't feel the same way about that kiss. She said that it meant nothing, but he was hoping it meant something. He had always had a thing for her, always. He thought he had a chance with her from that one kiss, but apparently it was nothing. A kiss couldn't just mean nothing. He kissed her, or she kissed him, and that should be enough. "Alright," he finally said as he turned to look out the window. He just watched as the scenery went by, and they didn't speak another word the whole car ride. JJ was relieved now that she didn't have to talk about it anymore. Although her lie seemed to upset him, she doesn't have to worry about him finding out. Now she could return to normal and start thinking about her boyfriend, Will, and forget about the fact that she might have a thing for her coworker.
*
When they arrived at the crime scene, they carefully examined it, making sure to pay attention to the placement of the body. When they were finished there, they drove back to the police station in silence again. It turned out that while they were gone, the team had already caught the unsub. That meant that they could go home, and both JJ and Reid were grateful to return to the BAU. Except JJ wasn't going to the BAU. Right when they got back, she hopped on a plane to New Orleans and got things settled with Will. Finally, everything was back to normal.