Chapter 1

Takes place after 3x16 "Elephant's Memory"

*Narrator's POV*

It was 6:30 am on a Friday. JJ woke up next to her boyfriend, exhausted from the night before. She had to go to work today, but she just wanted to stay in bed forever. Will, her new boyfriend, was in town for the past couple of days, and last night was the first time they had spent the night together. It was also the first time that JJ had been in a serious relationship in a while. The blonde turned herself over in the bed, checking to see if Will was awake. He was. "Good Morning," she said groggily. "Good Morning to you too," he replied in his thick accent, "Last night was amazing." "I know," she said as a smile was forming on her face. "Maybe we could do it again sometime?" Will asked. JJ's smile started to turn into a frown. "What?" He asked her. Her brow furrowed, a sign of frustration. "You know your going home to New Orleans today, right?" She said quickly. "Yeah, so what. We have the whole day to do whatever we want," he said while smirking. "I have to work today Will," JJ said as she sat up in the bed. "So? I can come with you, or you can call in sick," He said. She shot him a look. "No, I can't just do that," she replied, growing angry. "Well why not?" He questioned. "Because my boss and my team don't know that we're dating. They don't know we're in a relationship, and frankly, I don't want to tell them, nor do I want them to know," she told him. Hearing this made him upset, and a little hurt. He sat up in the bed and turned to face her. "Why don't you want them to know about us?" He questioned, obviously getting angry, "It should be a good thing that were dating, right?" JJ closed her eyes and exhaled deeply, trying not to respond to that question. It's not that it WASNT a good thing, it's just that it wasn't always going to stay a good thing. She was afraid that somehow, she'd get hurt by him, as she had been hurt by many of her other boyfriends. She didn't want to tell her team because when she tells people, it becomes real, and when it becomes real, people get hurt, and she didn't want to get hurt again. JJ stood up and got dressed quickly while Will watched her from the bed, waiting for an answer to his question. She stood up straight and let out a sigh. "I don't want to answer that question," she said quietly. "Well why not?! Why don't you want your team to know about us?!" He said, raising his voice as he got more frustrated with her. She turned around so she wasn't facing him, trying to calm herself down. "It's not that I don't want them to know, it's just.. I don't... I-" she fumbled, trying to find the right words to explain what she was trying to say. "You what?!" He exclaimed. Now he was screaming. "Why are you so embarrassed of me?!" He screamed, angrier than he was before. He started to get up out of the bed and quickly put on a pair of pants. "It's not that I'm embarrassed I just- I..." She started to trail off, still not facing him. "You what?!" He asked her. He started to walk across the room towards her. "I don't know if I can do this!" She finally blurted out as she turned around to face him. Will was obviously taken aback by this statement. It made him even more upset than he was already. However, instead of getting angry, he just walked away from her and started gathering his stuff calmly. "What are you doing?" JJ asked as she watched him gather his things. "I'm leaving to go back to New Orleans early. Call me back when you're READY for a relationship." He told her angrily. Tears started to form in JJ's eyes. This was not what she wanted. She just stood there, speechless, unable to stop him from leaving. She watched him with a blank stare on her face, lost in her thoughts and bad memories of ex-boyfriends. The slam of the door snapped her out of her thoughts and she realized he was gone. She let out a sigh that was a mix of sadness and relief. At least now she didn't have to tell the team. She didn't want to hear the playful remarks from Morgan, or the constant questions from Garcia and Emily. She didn't want to tell Hotch because he would make a big deal out of it, and she dreaded telling Reid because he had always had a crush on her and it would break his heart if he knew. She then realized the time: it was 7:00, almost time for her to go to the BAU. JJ quickly forgot about her fight with her boyfriend and got ready for a long day at work.
***
After a tiring day at the BAU, JJ easily forgot about her ordeal. The team didn't have a new case today, but they had lots of paperwork and case reviews to go over, which could be overwhelming at times. At the beginning of the day, she had some coffee in Garcias office and had some usual girl talk. During lunch, JJ, Emily, and Reid ate together, but Emily was 30 minutes late, so it was mostly just JJ and Reid. Morgan walked by them eating together and made some smartass remarks about the 2, which made Reid blush and made JJ laugh. "You know I always knew Pretty Boy could get some! Chics really dig a good sandwich man!" Morgan said loudly, referring to Reid's exceptionally good looking chicken sandwich. "Haha, very funny," JJ replied sarcastically, "We're just waiting for Emily, and you know he won't even share any of his sandwich with me!" "Well that's cause you didn't ask! If you want some you can have some," Reid said to her as his face started to turn red. Morgan laughed as he walked away, watching the 2 share the sandwich. JJ always thought it was kinda cute when Reid got all embarrassed like that. She has a boyfriend though, so she can't be thinking like that. Well at least she HAD a boyfriend. She always knew that Reid had a crush on her, but she didn't want to open up that door again. When Emily got to their lunch table, their lunch break was practically over. After that, the rest of the day went by kind of slow. That kind of forced her to overthink her past confrontation with Will. That kind of got her into a depressed mood, and made the day drag on even longer. JJ was glad when she finally got to leave for the day, but she didn't really feel like going home and thinking about what happened earlier that morning. She was still kind of upset by it, so she decided to go out that night. She was going to the bar, which she hadn't done in a long time.