Chapter 29 | Protective

< I don't think it's a good idea, so I hope he won't hire her. No matter how happy she'd be to work with you ]

[ why do you think so? >

< I've been working here for long enough to notice that he likes female employees more, and since I'm always the one taking care of interns and new ones, I know he treats them differently, unless they're married or taken ]

[ I thought he was just like that with Emilia? >

< unfortunately, no ]

Great. I was not even aware of it.

[ I hope he doesn't hire her then otherwise I'll lose my fucking mind if he dares to do anything inappropriate to her >

< I will too, don't worry ]

< she's coming back rn ]

[ alright >

I put my phone down and check the door, impatiently waiting for her but worrying about the answer.

I know for sure that I will lose my job if she is hired and that he tries anything.

Feeling like she could be talking to Luca, I peek at my phone again, and once I lift my eyes up, I catch sigh of her walking out of the shop.

I turn the ignition back on and analyze her body language, which could tell me without a word whether she got hired or not.

She seems happy, so that does not look good.

I never take my eyes off of her until she reaches the door, and I open it for her. She gets in with a paper bag she did not have before leaving this vehicle earlier and puts her papers down. "Were you talking with Luca?"

"Yes, I said goodbye, and look what I got," she holds the bag up. "Some more buns, and a latte but just for me because coffee isn't good for your heart," she gets the cup out and drinks from the straw. "What about the interview?" I ask, no matter how obvious it is given her mood, but remind her of something. "And put your seatbelt on."

"Yeah," she listens and does as told. "So, he said he can't hire me because I got no experience in sales and barely any knowledge in coffee, but," she ruins the beginning with an opposition and swallows more. "He said he liked how enthusiastic and motivated I am, and he wanted to try, so I have a contract, but it's a probation period. It will last for three months, but he told me he could put an end to it before that if I don't do the job well."

"It's as long as an internship," I check the road to turn and drive back home, and she sips on her coffee nonstop. "When do you start though?"

"Well, I got very lucky because he told me I'll start right after the intern's contract ends, which is when you'll go back to work too, so I'm relieved because I was scared he'd tell me to start next week, which means you'd have been alone every day," she worries about me, despite being happy about her first job offer. "I'd have gone back to work if it was the case."

"No," she shows some opposition. "The doctor gave you a date until you can go back to work, so I wouldn't have let you go back."

"I don't care about staying home without you, and I'm feeling better now. So I wouldn't have stayed home," I tell her the truth, the treatment helping me deal with it since I left the hospital. "But you still need that last week to fully recover, so I wouldn't have let you go back to work. Stop arguing."

"I'd have if I wanted to," I turn the steering wheel to enter another street, not liking the thought of her being away for seven hours every day for a whole week. I got used to having her with me twenty-four hours a day already, and I love it but need it. I feel safe, good, and happy that way, so I am scared to not have her near all the time anymore, no matter how unhealthy this could be.

CHAINED UP || J.JK × ReaderOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara