Chapter 3 | Antagonist

"Y/n, come on. You shouldn't be close to him."

"Why? He's sweet. What people say about him isn't true, trust me," I explain, feeling some strong disappointment and pain whenever my friends blindly judge him. "Listen. Matt's brother was a close friend of his, and from what he said, he takes drugs, smokes, and is borderline alcoholic. Right?" she asks for Matt to valid, and he nods. "That's what he told me."

"Exactly, and on top of that, we all know he was an abusive boyfriend who hit his ex not long ago, so do not fall for this bad guy, he's gonna hurt you," she does not listen to me but the rumors that come from people who barely knew him. "His girlfriend was a bitch, she made that up just to look like a victim and destroy him. I know Jungkook, I can assure you that he'd never do such a thing. He's dealing with a lot of things already, so I wish people could listen to the truth."

"Y/n, you're the only who thinks that of him. So, you—"

"Have your brother said anything wrong about him?" I lift my hand up towards Matt to question him. "Well...he never said anything about what his ex claimed, but he did talk about the fact that he'd often lose it or get mad over nothing, and a little before the breakup, he would often get drunk or high and not be able to go to work. He's not sure if it was just alcohol or drugs too, but he knew that he was addicted to Adeine, I think? And apparently it'd kinda space him out because it's a strong one, and it helps you feel relaxed but numbs you."

I know about this drug. He talked about it with me.

"But he never hurt anyone. Sometimes, people who go through some horrible things can overreact without meaning to, so no one should shit on him for that. Especially when they don't know anything about what happened to him," I defend him no matter what, loving him way too much to let people say such words about him. "That doesn't justify the fact he may have hit his girlfriend. You can't trust him for sure just because he said 'I didn't do it' or something like that. If he was indeed addicted to drugs and alcohol, and that he'd easily go mad, he could have done it without even remembering anything at all."

"That girl cheated on him once, and he gave her another chance, and she then cheated on him again, so I'm sorry, I won't trust such a bitch who knew what he was going through and still used him. After knowing that, it's easy to pick a side," I let some anger take over me and get upset. "And how do you know he wasn't just super possessive and made that up to make you feel some pity for him?"

"I don't want to talk about this anymore," I do not argue any longer, putting an end to it and making it clear I do not like this moment at all. She knows nothing about him, yet she only listen to her own assumptions. "Whatever," she sighs and clears her throat with her drink. "You know, we're not judging him—"

"I am," she interrupts Matthew to not shut up about her disgusting opinion. "Tsk. Eve, stop. We don't know anything for—"

"So you'd rather believe that guy who was known for taking drugs and getting drunk? This is the exact fucking reason why victims don't ever speak up, no one ever wants to believe them," she does not even think twice before talking, seeing this from her point of view and no one else's one. "And you're the exact reason why innocent men get accused of stuff they never did, only because for people like you, women are always right."

"You're just letting this fucking asshole manipulate you! No guy has ever shown any interested in you, so you hold onto him because you feel like someone finally loves you when in reality, he doesn't give a shit about who you are. He either just wanna fuck the teenage, naive girl you are—"

"You're going way too far now, Eve. You shut your mouth," Matthew stops her as I stayed still and stared at her spit her words at me, but the pain, which she just filled me with after letting everything off her chest, forces me to stand up and leave them. I ignore Matthew, who said my name, and I get out of the restaurant while crying.