Chapter 40

"Please please please let us stay up!" 5-year-old Jude whined, as he stomped his foot.

It was only eleven o'clock in the morning and he was already cranky. There was no way he would make it thirteen more hours to ring in the new year. The Scott's and Evans were coming over later for dinner, but the chances of the kids making it to 12 were rather low.

"Nothing happens, buddy. It's just like any other night," Julian tried to tell Jude. "Just tomorrow starts a new calendar year."

"No! Alex said it was the coolest! He even got to stay up last year!" Davis told them.

"Who's Alex?" Julian asked.

"He's an annoying kid that was in their class at school." A 16-year-old Ellie tells him, earning a nod from Julian as he realised who she was talking about.

"I don't care what Alex's family lets him do..." Brooke began

"he's not my child, you are." Ellie mocked, having heard that one to many times

"Please Muuuummm! We'll be extra good!" Davis begged Brooke let out a sigh.

"Fine! But if you fall asleep early or feel tired tomorrow, it's not my fault." Brooke gave in. "And you won't be cranky all day, either."

"Yes!" The twins cheered

"Come on." Ellie said, she could tell her mum and Julian would want them worn out, so they would hopefully fall asleep before 12. That way they wouldn't have to deal with them tired or cranky tomorrow. "I'll take you guys to the river court."

"Are we gonna drive or walk?" Jude asked

"Will drive." Ellie tells him, she was definitely making the most of being able to drive places, she loved it.

"Can we get a ice cream on the way home?" Davis asked his older sister

"Will see." Ellie said "now go get your bikes."

"Can I come?" The brown haired three year old girl asked running over to her.

"You better ask mum." Ellie tells her

"Mummy, go with El?" She asked sweetly looking up at Brooke with her big brown eyes.

"Alright Till." Brooke agreed "but make sure you listen to El."

"I will." She smiled cheekily.

"Why don't you take some chalk." Brooke adds

"Alright." Ellie agreed

"Yeah!" Tilly smiled

Tilly Baker, had joined the family when she was a tiny 6 week old baby.

Julian had been out with the three kids, the twins only 2 at the time, Ellie 13, when a helpless Samantha Walker had turned up at the house with a small baby girl. She didn't know where to go, and she didn't want to leave her baby, but Sam knew that it was the best choice for her.

She knocked on the door explained everything to Brooke, and then she said 9 words, that would change there lives.

"I want you and Julian to be her parents."

Sam had even gone through the trouble of getting papers, handing custody over to them. Then she placed them on the table and left Brooke with the baby, with out another word.

So many things were going through Brookes head as she tried to stop Sam leaving, but one thing stood out. How do you tell you husband and three kids that your long lost foster daughter just turned up and left you a baby?
Everything turned out ok though, and Tilly was now a happy, bubbly, talkative three year old.