Chapter 34

It was now mid baseball season in Tree Hill and Ellie's ' little league season was in full force. Ellie was now at that age where she was very competitive with other towns, and the Scott child was among the most competitive of players. She is Brooke Davis's daughter after all. Ellie could play pretty much any position, but the one she loved the most was pitcher.

"Julian come on!" Ellie wobbled back and forth as she carried a large bucket of baseballs out of the shed in the back yard. "I have to practice!"

"You don't need me to throw them against the fence ," Julian laughed.

"No, I'm gunna stand in at bat and you have to be the catcher," Dylan said, coming up behind Julian and handing him his glove.

"Okay, okay." Julian walked to the plastic home plate that Ellie had set up and crouched down into position.

"Oh no, I don't think I can do this for very long. I'm getting old." Julian chuckled

"You're not old," Ellie laughed, as Dylan tapped his bat against the plate.

"No, swinging Dylan, okay. No one has helmets on," Julian warned.

"Yep, I know." Dylan replied

Ellie threw a couple balls before finding a rhythm. She threw a bunch of strikes in a row before the back door opened.

"I'm home!" Brooke called, she had been out shopping.

"Come on kids, come inside and I'll fix you a snack before we have to leave," Brooke suggested. Ellie dropped the ball she was holding and ran into the house, Dylan following after her.

***

When the game had started, Brooke settled in the stands to watch.

"Play ball!" The umpire yelled and the kids jumped up off the bench and scurried out to their positions.

Ellie pitched a good first inning and kept the Bear Creek Juniors at bay. The Sharks went great and scored twice in each of the first two innings. But when the third inning came, a huge kid stepped up to bat.

"Jeez, are you sure he's under ten?" Julian commented to no one in particular.

"I think he's taller than me..." Clay over exaggerated.

"Come on El! You got this kiddo!" Brooke clapped.

With two men on base, Ellie gulped as she looked at the plate. Ellie took her best wind up and pitched her best fast ball.

Unfortunately, it wasn't good enough. Number 4 took a nice lead step and cracked that baseball into straight away centre field for a 'little league' home-run. Ellie lowered her head as the other team cheered. The game was now 4-3. On the bleechers the Tree Hill parents sighed.

***

In the last inning, Ellie was three outs away from leading her team to victory. Her pitching was a little shaky and she walked the first batter. Then the second kid grounded out and Jamie made a nice play to nab the lead runner in a fielder's choice.

But then the whole Sharks' team gulped. Up came #4, the home run hitter who could win the game for his team with one good swing of the bat.

Nathan could tell Ellie was nervous and called time out. They all went to the dugout.

"Uncle Nate, you can put someone else in.. I don't wanna lose the game for us." She admitted

Nathan shook his head. "El, I know you can do this. And no matter what happens, I'm very proud of you."

Ellie smiled and nodded. "Okay."

Stepping back to the dugout Julian gave a thumbs up to Ellie.

Ellie set her stance and took a breath.
And the pitch... ball one.