estrellas~chapter 16

(A/N FLASHBACKS ARE IN ITALICS)

"It's for sale?" I ask surprised. It felt like a bomb had just been dropped.

"Yeah," Conrad replies to me bluntly.

"Your dad is selling it! How dare he!" I yell.

"No... no, it's my Aunt Julia, Mom's half-sister."

"Can't Adam just buy it?"

"No, he's refusing to even fucking help."

"That's why we're down here, right?"

"Yeah..."

Then a thought occurs to me, "Wait! What about your finals?" I hadn't even thought about that.

"Oh... well the house is more important," He defends.

"No Connie!" I lecture, "Get Jeremiah to get down here and take care of the house, you need to take your exams, otherwise this school year was pointless."

"I'm not leaving," He said firmly.

I knew him too well to know that he was too stubborn to listen.

"Did you at least bring your notebooks?" I ask.

He shakes his head no, "No need, I'm not leaving."

I now rub my temples, "Ugh, Conrad you're going to be the death of me."

"Probably, but hey at least we have each other for the meantime," He says and messes my hair up.

"Want to surf?" He asked me.

I thought to myself that if we lose the house we lose Susanah all over again. I already lost her once and I refuse to again. So, we might as well make the most of it.

"Yeah, let's go."

We caught a few waves and then we just chilled on our boards, I yawned.

"Shit I'm sleepy."

"You can go back, I might stay out a little longer."

"Okay," I say as I paddle back, "Wait, Connie, can you at least ask someone to take notes for you? I mean, I know you're not going back for exams but you might as well make the best of it."

He looks at me and rolls his eyes, "Fine, I'll ask my roommate."

"Good," I say as I paddle towards the house.

~

I take a long ass nap and realize it's already dinner time.

I stole his car keys and went down to the nearest grocery store. I bought us some ingredients for spaghetti. A quick and easy dinner.

When I got back to the house he was still out doing something so I prepared the noodles and sauce.

Eventually, I heard him yelling from the other room for a while but I didn't want to intrude.

Connie walks in with his phone in his hand.

"Fuck," he groans and puts his head on the counter.

"What happened?" I ask.

"Adam." He looks at me with such pain in his eyes.

"Spaghetti?" I ask him.

He's about to answer but his phone starts to blow up. He turns it on Do Not Disturb.

While we eat his phone continues to go crazy.

"Are you going to answer that?" I ask.

"No," he says, "Wait, what did you tell Laurel?"

"I said that I was with you and how you needed some help, I think she assumed I was in Boston, she doesn't know I'm in Cousins..."

"Shit," he said while laughing.

~

The night of Jeremiah's Homecoming was perfect. Now, I know nothing in the world can be perfect, but this night felt like it was.

Sussnahah had helped me all day getting ready, she did my hair and even my makeup. It was nice seeing her so attentive.

When I went shopping with my Mom I chose a Red Satin Cami dress with some flower-print designs.

As soon as I walked out of Sussanah's room, I saw him. He was wearing a white button-down shirt with a red tie, that way he could match my dress.

He slowly turned around, "Wow..." he said.

I went to hug him, "You look beautiful," he whispered in my ear.

"You're pretty cute too," I say as I give him a quick kiss.

"Don't ruin your makeup!" Sussnahah scolded.

"Let me get a quick photo."

With a quick photo, it practically turned into an entire photoshoot. We took some classics but then did some funny poses as well. All in all, I was just excited that he was there with me.

He drove us in his red jeep and we listened to ''Amazing'' by Rex Orange County. I was beaming with joy.

Once we entered his school Gym I met a lot of his friends.

His friends would say, "You must be Lauren! Jere never shuts up about you, good to finally meet you, you two are so cute, etc."

It may be conceded of me but I loved all the cute little things I was hearing about Jere, it just made me love him even more.

Jeremiah and I danced all night, whenever we would take a break and sit down, many girls would ask him to dance. But he would always politely decline, every time saying how he was here with his girlfriend.

Eventually, the DJ stopped playing music and it was time to crown king and queen. Unsurprisingly, Jere won King.

He was called to the dance floor, then he made a grand gesture of inviting me with him. I laughed and ran into his arms as he dipped me and kissed me on the lip in front of his entire school. I heard some gasps, cheers, and growls, either way, I didn't care. All I cared about was Jere and me.

~

After Dinner, I clean up our dishes and head up to my room to shower. I took a nice long warm shower, and all I thought about was when my mother was going to ask questions. How was I going to tell her I was in Cousins? Maybe she wouldn't even care, I don't care, Conrad needed me so I had to show up for him.

The next morning I'm sitting at the kitchen table reading some newspaper. My phone starts to vibrate.

I grab my phone and see an unknown number. I never answer unknown numbers but something told me I should. So, I clicked accept.

Someone on the other line was breathing, I remained quiet.

"Hello? Lauren, are you there?" A familiar voice said.