estrellas~chapter 13

I woke up early. Today is the day. The day I have been dreading all summer, the Ball.

Belly runs into my room, "Wake up Lauren! Today is the day!"

"Mmm, shut up Belly!"

"Get ready, it's time to go!" She screams.

~

As we enter the Country Club's Greenroom I see a bunch of half-naked girls running around wild. I find a dress-up station that is empty and place my stuff down.

I apply my makeup and Shayla helps me with my hair.

Then, it's time to go.

I walk onto the stage under the arch and I am met with a Conrad Fisher.

He whispers, "You look nice Laur." I smile and thank him.

"Lauren Conklin, daughter of John Conklin and Laurel Park. A student at Chesterbrook High School. Lauren is also an avid surfer, and this summer raised $5,000 for the county women's shelter."

I walk down the stage, my arm with Conrad's, and I hand my bouquet to my Mother. I curtsy and watch as Belly walks down the stage.

She looks so good. I am so proud of the Woman she is becoming.

While I wait for the other Debs to get announced, I feel a strong lingering sense of eyes on me. Of course, those eyes belonged to Jeremiah Fisher. I still haven't made up with him.

After everyone is announced we sit and join our families. Everyone seems to be laughing and having a good time, all until I see Conrad get up out of nowhere. Should I follow him, I asked myself. Soon we are about to do the dance we practiced so hard for.

It's been a few minutes and the Deb's are called to the dance floor to perform our dance routine. I walk and I look around for Conrad, he is nowhere to be seen.

I feel embarrassed as I am the only girl in white without a partner.

"Where's Connie?" Belly runs over and asks me.

"I have no idea," I walk over to others and ask if they have seen Conrad, but none of them have. Why would he leave me like this, we were finally on good terms and this had to happen. Out of all days, he could ditch me why today?

I feel a sense of hope when I see him, I see my Jeremiah walk over and join me on the dance floor.

"May I have this dance?" He asks me, I feel as though I'm about to cry and I just hug him. "Thank you," I whisper into his neck.

"I'm sorry about everything Jeremiah," I feel tears form as I speak.

"I'm sorry, I know that Conrad kissed you."

"I know Belly kissed you."

As we spoke, I didn't even realize we were both holding onto one another as if it was the last time we could touch.

We start the dance and Jeremiah is better at the Waltz than I thought. I can't seem to take my smile off of my face. Even Belly is happy for me.

"Where did you learn how to Waltz?"

"I had to help Belly practice."

"Well, she must have been a great teacher."

He gives me his iconic trademark smile.

We dance the night away. I can't seem to take my smile off my face.

"Lauren..." he says, "If I could take back everything I would. I would do anything for you, I love you so much. You're my favorite per...."

I stop him from talking and I lean in and kiss him hard. It might have not been the most aesthetic-looking kiss but all I knew was that at that moment, I wanted one thing, Jeremiah.

I pull away and see that Paige is furious, I realize we are supposed to still be dancing but I can't help it.

"What about Paige.." He says.

"Screw Paige, and shut up and kiss me more," I say to him.

He takes the hint and pushes his lips back onto mine, I can't help but smile as their faces become one. We both get lost in the moment and completely stop dancing. I know my mother is going to have it out for me but I don't care. The only boy I have ever wanted was finally mine, my Jeremiah.

Once the dance finishes I can't seem to let go of his hand. We walk back over to the table and Susanah won't stop beaming at me.

"Oh my dear come here," she says with open arms, "It gives me such joy to see you with my boy." I smile and hug her, "I love you Susanah," I say. "I love you too Lauren."

Out of nowhere, I hear yelling coming from behind us.

It was Jeremiah. I couldn't make out what he was saying but he threw a punch at Conrad, and I gasped. When did Conrad come back, I also wondered.

Both Susanah and I ran over there as they started to fight.

"Both of you, stop it. What is going on?" She scolded both of her boys.

"Mom..." Jere said, I walked over to him and held him in my arms as he had begun to cry.

"We know, Mom. We both know." Conrad says.

"Know what?" I ask while holding Jere.

~

The Deb ball was something that none of us could have ever imagined. I finally got all I ever wanted, Jeremiah, but it came at the price of losing Sussanah. All summer I was so focused on him to where I wasn't focused on her.

My mother was comforting Steven, Belly, and me as we all sobbed.

"I'm so stupid, I was so focused on myself this summer, I should've been focused on Sussanah," Belly cried.

"We all were selfish this summer, it's not just you," I say with tears forming.

"No," my Mother answers, "This is what she wanted, one last perfect summer."

It felt like ages of just crying but eventually, we all went downstairs at had a feast of leftovers.

It was the best way to end a tragic summer, every person I love gathered at one table together. All of us laughing and having the best time we could have ever imagined.

~

I'm watching the sunrise on the beach with Jeremiah. Both of our hands are tightly together.

I put my hand up to his jaw and turned him to face me.

"Jeremiah Fisher, can we forget everything that happened this summer?"

"Everything?" He said.

I nod my head.

"I don't want to forget," he answers back.

"Forget the bad things?" I ask again.

"Do you remember when we made our promise to each other?" He asked.

I looked down at my rings and said, "Of course."

"I think you're the only person I could ever love Lauren." He says, "Promise me that you will always love me?"

I smile, "You're the only boy that could ever have my heart."

I looked into his eyes and knew I was where I was meant to be, forever in his arms. Forever, my Jeremiah.

"You're my star, Lauren, my Estrella."

"I love you," is all I could say.

He looked at me empathetically, then our lips met one another. I never wanted to let go, I don't know if I ever will.