estrellas~chapter 1

My family would drive up to Cousin's Beach every year, and we would stay with my mother's best friend's family, the Fishers. It was my favorite part of every year. My Mother got to see her best friend, and I got to see mine... Jeremiah Fisher.

I had my first everything in Cousins. I learned how to surf, I learned friendship, and I even learned a little romance once in a while.

But, when it comes to romance, my heart will only beat for one person.

The drive up to Cousins was always my favorite part of the summer. The anticipation of seeing my favorite people in the entire world. My younger sister, Belly, always had her eyes on Conrad. I always wondered if they were meant to be. My mother's best friend, Sussanah, would always tell me I was also destined for one of her boys.

"Lauren my dear, promise me you will take care of Jere? You two are just meant to be," she would say while smiling with her one-of-a-kind smile.

I always thought it was silly because Jeremiah was my best friend. But now, everything has changed.

When we were children Jeremiah and I promised each other we would get married someday, I know it's silly but I can never forget silly things like that. In honor of that, I always wore a gold ring on my right ring finger, technically that is where you put a promise ring, but I feel as though it symbolizes it in a way. On the middle finger on my right hand, Jeremiah and I both have matching rings. I wear mine every day, I wonder if he does.

"Hey, Lauren," A twelve-year-old Jeremiah asked me.

"Yeah?" I answered back.

"When we're old, can we get married?"

"What do you mean?"

"I want to marry someone I love, I don't think I could ever love someone as much as you."

I remember hitting him and we both laughed.

Maybe Jeremiah was the only person I could ever love.

Steven, my brother, was driving and Belly was in the front seat, one of our favorite songs, Can't Do Better, by Kim Petras began to play.

"I feel the tension in the air, no, I can't let you leave, so I kill my insecurities," Belly and I scream. My Mother stares at us with a concerned look but we don't care, this is our summer.

"Uh, can you guys turn it down a little, please?" My mother said, "Yes, please," answered Steven.

"Thank you. I want you to be better about helping out this summer. Like, don't just leave your dishes in the sink. Load them into the dishwasher. And not just your dish, either, Steven."

"What? But I..." Steven remarked flabbered ghasted, making me laugh a little. My Mother glared at me.

"I want you to be good houseguests," she stated while turning her head out the window.

"Mom, Susannah has people who clean, doesn't she?" my brother questioned. My mother gently smacked him on the head, causing Belly and I to giggle.

"All right. All right. Sorry." He answered back.

I looked out the window to see my favorite sign of all time, Welcome to Cousins Beach.

We drove down my favorite street, and into my favorite driveaway. Here's to the best summer yet.

I fiddled with my rings nervously as we all got out of the car.

My Mother got straight out of the car first and was already hugging my ideal husband. I saw his fluffy hair around her neck and I felt my heart skip a beat. My heart only beat for him.

Then Steven and Jeremiah reunite and Susannah comes running out.

"Oh, my God!" Sussanah said as she and my mother's arms met entwined with each other.

I watched him make his way to all my family, but then stop for me. I feel as though the universe has stopped, making me smile. There he is, Jeremiah, my Jeremiah, except, he's not mine.

I can't help but grin wide as he comes running towards me. His arm laces around my waist and he twirls me around.

"Oh my god Lauren how have you been," he exclaims.

"I'm great!" I said while hugging the shit out of him.

"I missed you so fucking much!" He said.

"Language!" I heard Susanah yell and I couldn't help but laugh. I was finally home.

I hold my arms around him, I wish I could stay like this forever. I grab his hand and smile, "You're wearing our rings!" I exclaim.

"Of course Laur-Laur, I wear it every day."

"He does, every day!" Sussanah chimed in.

I look over at Belly and Conrad. They are practically having a staring contest.

"I think this summer is the one where they confess their love," I whisper in Jeremiah's ear. He looked at me surprised, "You think?" We both laugh.

I make my way over and give Conrad a big bear hug.

"Hey, Connie!" I say laughing at myself. He gives me a slight smile, which I find odd. I've always loved Jere, but I was close with Conrad, at least I thought I was...

Steven interrupted my thoughts by saying, "Hey, hey, guys, guys. I mean, I don't know about you, but I..." both he and Jeremiah indirectly checked their invisible watches on their wrists, "Well, I-I think it's time for a... For a... Belly flop!" Both he and Jeremiah snatched Belly and Conrad and I helped carry her outside to the backyard.

With that, we were on the edge of the pool, "One... Two... Three!" We all throw her in. I will admit that she did not go down without a fight, but our official Summer has finally begun.

"How's the water?" Jeremiah says to Belly, "Guys, I hurt my ankle," she responds with, "I'm a little worried at first but I'm not falling for it.

To my surprise, Conrad has fallen victim to Belly's trap. He reaches his hand out for hers and she effortlessly pulls him into the pool with her.

"Pur go Belly!" I cheer and laugh at Connie. Next thing I know I'm getting pushed in the pool by Jeremiah. "Jere!" I yell at him laughing.

After Belly and I were soaked, we headed back inside.

"Your dripping Water!" My Mother yelled.

"Sorry, sorry," I screamed back. I ran upstairs to find something dry to change into.