Chapter nineteen.

Chapter nineteen, No Weddings and a Funeral

Chapter nineteen,
No Weddings and a Funeral.
"THE APPLE IS NOT THE TREE."

A/N: thank you so much for 100k reads oh my god!! what a fucking trip

100k reads oh my god!! what a
fucking trip. This episode was a pain
to write, but we're two chapter away
from SEASON THREE, so updates
should hopefully be super regular
now. remember to hit vote if
you enjoyed x

"WHERE DO YOU THINK HER FATHER IS RIGHT NOW?" Keeley Jones wondered from her place by the open door, unabashed in her anxious need to disrupt the deafening quiet. Her green eyes darted around the room, taking everybody in as she desperately awaited a response.

Death made her nervous.

The eternal silence of it all spooked.

This silence was not too dissimilar.

    Ted Lasso was sat at his desk with a potently contemplative expression. Across the way from him, Beard's face was unsurprisingly blank. Higgins seemed to be sympathetically mourning by the window, his shoulders perpetually slumped and his head shaking every few minutes. Nate was sat atop the nearby shelf, staring up at the ceiling in a dramatic show of wistfulness.

    Roy was leaning, rather heavily, against the doorway to the connecting office, a hard-to-read look on his face. He was noticeably tired (no doubt it was the Tartt twins, who'd been painfully inseparable the last two weeks, that kept him up at night – what with their cackling laughter, and their loud banter, and their need to watch films at maximum volume way past midnight), and it seemed like this morbid turn in conversation wasn't helping his mood.

   To his left, perched on the cupboard used for storing documents and drafts, was Ada. Her expression was an awkward one. Like she didn't know how to react to death. Like her brain could not fathom or comprehend the permanent departure of a loved one.

(Let the record show that love and loss were not foreign concepts to Ada Tartt. Perhaps a tiny bit alien when labelled, especially back when she was a child who took everything for a nameless circumstance, but never foreign; she was born to a father that named her and left her, she was gifted a brother that adored her and later deprived herself of that adoration, she worshiped a sport only to end up on her bloody knees like an impious servant.