Chapter five.

Chapter five, Tan Lines

"NAMES AND NUMBERS."

   "SO, YOU'RE SEEING OTHER PEOPLE?"

   She kept her eyes on the pitch as the question left her mouth, watching as Jamie snuck up behind Bumbercatch, snagged the ball from him, and began running towards the net.

   Ted chanced a quick glance at her before also looking back to the game. They were incorporating some of Ada's ideas into the team's new drill; having some of the players run a practice match, and having the rest work on core training. The men would later swap, to ensure that no reserved players wasted their time and that no first-teamers lost sight of the importance of basics.

He frowned. "He's my son."

"That's what they all say." Ada grunted, still watching as her brother refused to make a single pass.

    Beard and Nate exchanged uncomfortable looks.

   "Are you jealous, Soufflé?"

    "Fucking dickhead."

    Ted's jaw fell, and he quickly turned to Ada. Only to find she wasn't looking at him. And that her insult was not aimed in his direction.

    Ada was watching as Sam waved his arms around, clearly trying to show that he was wide open. The boy was practically begging for the ball. For the opportunity to prove himself to this team, and to his coaches. But Jamie was Jamie, and he was not letting up on his claim.

   "Jamie! Jamie! Jamie, I'm open!"

    Number nine predictably ignored him, kicking the ball between Isaac's leg and leaping over all the extended feet attempting to trip him. He never once lost possession.

It would have been beyond impressive if he wasn't so cocky about it, the smirk not leaving his face as he continued to dribble and run.

    "Pass the ball, Jamie." Ada muttered under her breath.