chapter ten.

Chapter ten, The Hope That Kills You

"BUT TO KNOW IS TO LOVE!"

   THERE WAS SOMETHING ABOUT ENFORCED SILENCE That made everything incredibly funny to Ada Tartt

   THERE WAS SOMETHING ABOUT ENFORCED SILENCE That made everything incredibly funny to Ada Tartt. She didn't know if it was some dormant rebelliousness awakening itself within her, or if she was just an immature child, but whatever the motive, the girl was really struggling to bite back a giggle which would rupture the hushed quiet.

And there was something about her stifled laughter and teary eyes that had Colin Hughes in absolute stitches.

"Shut up!" Isaac hissed, clapping a hand over both their mouths as they began to quietly wheeze.

The entire team was currently hiding out in Ted and Beard's office, awaiting the arrival of Nathan Shelley. The lights were shut off and everyone was huddled by the window, looking out into the locker room through the small slits in the pulled shutters.

    "I'm sorry," Colin mumbled against his best friend's palm. His head was bowed in an effort to avoid eye contact with Ada, who was stood to the left of him. "I'm sorry."

    For some reason, the Welshman's need to apologise made everything funnier. Ada snorted against Isaac's manmade muzzle, and the sound then triggered his own secret desire to laugh.

Thankfully, Roy, who was standing behind them, seemed to have predicted this series of events and quickly reached out to cover Isaac's mouth.

    "Fucking grow up!"

"Shh!" Sam turned to hush them, a pleading look in his eyes. The Nigerian was perhaps the most excited about Nate's surprise promotion, having always favoured the success stories of underdogs. And also really loving the idea of confetti canons.

Richard suddenly snapped his fingers to garner everyone's attention, pointing to the window once he had it. The team pushed forward to get a better look at the scene, all of them pressed together in an attempt to see through the louvred shutters.