Chapter one.

Chapter one, Pilot

Chapter one, Pilot.
"GAME OF THRONES REFERENCE"

   ADA TARTT HATED ROY KENT. The seed was planted over a decade ago when her twin brother, Jamie, took it upon himself to put up a poster on her side of their shared bedroom. "I got no more space on me wall," He had pouted, hands clasped beneath his chin in a pleading gesture. "Please, Ada! Just for a little while."

But Jamie was always more cunning than anyone ever gave him credit for, and he managed to ensure that a little while very quickly became forever. He found the most permanent glue available for sale, and purchased it with the money he saved from all the teeth he lost (and a young lad whose favourite past time was kicking a ball around the streets of Manchester lost a lot of fucking teeth). Ada wouldn't have minded had the poster been at all aesthetically pleasing, but it was an ugly thing; a jagged magazine cutout of an unsmiling, menacing man holding a football. A horrible addition to their room, and certainly not welcome on her wall – which she had chosen to decorate with pictures of her own favourite players.

("That man doesn't deserve to be so close to Mia Hamm and Marta." She would cry into her mother's shoulder on more than one occasion.)

The seed of hatred slowly grew throughout her adolescence, nurtured abundantly with each chant of "He's here, he's there, he's every-fucking-where! Roy Kent! Roy Kent!" It was almost as though he was, in fact, every-fucking-where. Scoring goals in her living room, watching her sleep from his immobile spot on her bedroom wall, his praises on the tongue of every boy she kissed all throughout secondary school.

But the pip only began sprouting roots when she finally met him.

It was back when Jamie had first moved to London and was living in her guest room (he didn't really ask if he could, just showed up on her doorstep with a fuck load of luggage and a sweet enough smile). She had been the one to drop him off at Nelson Road on his first day, where he was to meet the men who'd be his teammates for the next few months. She remembered how excited he was on the drive there, shifting in his seat as they neared and chewing the inside of his cheek so that she wouldn't catch him grinning like a fool.