Chapter eleven.

Chapter eleven, Goodbye Earl

THE STAR WARS REFERENCE.

    "I HAVE A REALLY GOOD FEELING ABOUT THIS SEASON

    "I HAVE A REALLY GOOD FEELING ABOUT THIS SEASON." Ada's eyes were focused on the pitch as the words left her mouth, tailing the ball as it got passed between different players and routinely reacquired by the two competing teams.

    It was nearing the end of Richmond's eighth post-relegation match, and they were playing against West Bridgford's very own Nottingham Forest. The game had been relatively tense so far, with both teams currently levelling at two goals apiece, but the girl was confident that they would win. And was hopeful that they would finally break their seven tie streak.

   Beard and Nate, who stood on either of side of her, were far less confident. In fact, they were both certain that Ada had just ensured their loss.

    "Great." The American to her left pursed his lips. "You just jinxed it."

Nate gave a heavy nod, too full of nerves to verbalise his agreement. They had been incorporating most of his plans in today's match; the trick opening and the surprise tiki-taka strategy as a post-half tactic. If this ended with another tie or, God forbid, a loss, then he would feel completely responsible.

   It had been easier when he was a kit man whose suggestions were only credited in person. Now, as an official member of the coaching staff, the blame would publicly fall to him.

"I don't know if I like long haired Ada and her optimism," Beard mused quietly, tugging at the shoulder length strands which she'd secured in a short ponytail.

Ada slapped his hand away and kept her eyes trained on Sam Obisanya. "It's not the fucking hair, it's a feeling I have."

"Are your feelings ever right?" Nate frowned, fiddling with his whistle.

"All past scenarios would point to no."

"Forget the past, Beardo. Look to the future. It's full of life, I can feel it." She gave them both a grin before moving to stand by Ted, who'd spent the entirety of the match anxiously shifting on his feet by the pitch's sideline.