Chapter eight.

Chapter eight, The Diamond Dogs

"OF BLIND MICE & BLIND MEN!"

    HER DAY WAS STARTING OUT WELL ENOUGH — If one ignored the fact that Ada had rolled off the couch at some point in the night, and woke up on the hotel room floor this morning

HER DAY WAS STARTING OUT WELL ENOUGH — If one ignored the fact that Ada had rolled off the couch at some point in the night, and woke up on the hotel room floor this morning. But, unlike the days of old, where she would find herself naked or alone when in such a predicament, it was with a quilt over her pyjama-clad body and a warmth in her heart that she found consciousness.

And both the quilt and warmth (as well as the oversized Snoopy pyjamas, actually) were there because of Ted Lasso, who now loomed over her from his place on the coffee table.

"Mornin', Soufflé!"

Ada blinked.

His cheery greeting rang in ears. She quickly took in his sunny disposition, and the way his eyes seemed to be focusing very intently on her expression; as though he were waiting to see if she would burst into tears.

And who could blame him for being cautious, really? Ada remembered the night before; how she showed up at his door like a kicked dog seeking shelter from the rain. And she remembered everything else that happened before that, too. The monumental match where Richmond finally beat Everton. The karaoke bar where Rebecca finally sang. The alley where Ted finally broke. The walk back to the hotel.

The touches.

The kiss.

The tears.

The kiss.

Ada brought her hand up to her face at the reminder, fingers ghosting the pink of her lips.

"Oh, don't worry, you didn't drool."

Her hand quickly dropped. Ada eyed him wearily as she slowly sat up on the ground, propping her back up against the couch. Ted was still perched on the coffee table, and he was still smiling very brightly.

"Were you watching me sleep?"

"It sure do look and sound that way, don't it?" Ted chuckled, clearing his throat when her eyes only narrowed. "I was waiting for you to wake and shake, little bake! We got us a bus to catch."