Chapter 23

TW: mentions of combat/abuse and some injuries

*Amylin's POV*

I squeeze my pillow tightly as I force the tears to stop falling. The air around me is depressing, full of sadness and despair, and I know Anakin can feel it. He's already sent two clones to check on me, one being Fives.

Despite his cheerful attitude, I can't bring myself to leave the room. The pillow is soaked, my eyes red and puffy. The pit in my chest seems to only be getting worse, and I can't stand the idea of facing him again, putting on a neutral face to keep the questions at bay.

We are currently awaiting orders on what to do next, as the Resolute floats through space. This means that the halls are busy, clones wasting time and wandering the ship.

A knock comes from my door, and I groan into the pillow. "Tell Anakin I'm fine," I yell back angrily. "Anakin didn't send me," a muffled voice replies. I stare at the wall, deciding if I should let the medic in.

I finally raise my hand, using the force to open the door. His face is surprised for a moment, but he soon returns a smile to his face and enters the room. I push myself into a sitting position, pulling my knees to my chest.

"Fives told me you didn't seem to be feeling well," he starts, taking a seat away from the bed. "I think it's a cold, nothing to serious," I lie. He nods, "can I take a look?" I scoot to the edge of the bed, as he comes over. He listens to my heart and lungs, feeling my temperature as he does so.

"You're a little warm, and I'm noticing some congestion. All signs of a cold," he says kindly. I smile up at him, feeling a bit better with his company. He steps away from the bed, "anything I can get you? Or you could come spend the day with me in the med bay if you like."

I shrug, unsure if I'm ready to leave the safety of my room yet. He sends me a kind smile, "you're always welcome," he says, leaving the room. I sit by myself for a while, then decide spending the day with Kix would be a good distraction. I head to the bathroom, taking in my appearance in the mirror. I change, straightening my hair a bit, and trying to wash the redness in my face away.

Despite my attempts, my nose stays red. I shake it off, then walk down to the med bay. Kix is there, along with Fives. I smile at them as I come in, both returning the gesture. I sit down, listening as they continue their conversation.

I stay with them the rest of the day, finding peace in their company. I start feeling better, and even join in on conversations, and find myself laughing on a few occasions.

My mind constantly wanders to Rex, but as if on que, Kix always pulls me from my mind with a joke or dumb statement. Despite having no idea what's going on, he's doing a great job at keeping me sane.

The three of us stay in the med bay late into the night, returning early the next day. Unfortunately, my luck doesn't last, and Rex is sent to retrieve me the next day. "General Skywalker needs you on the bridge," he says coldly, not staying to chat.

I push myself up, feeling the heavyweight of the sadness returning. "Hm, Cap seems to be in a bad mood," Fives jokes. Kix ignores him, "would you like me to walk with you?" He offers. I roll my eyes, trying to act normal, "that's not necessary. I'll be back soon."

He nods, returning to his holopad. I enter the hall, keeping distance as I follow Rex to the bridge. Anakin turns towards me as I enter, Rex hanging back. "Hey," he says softly. I nod towards him, still a bit mad at him. He sighs, straightening his back. "The Jedi council is calling us back home, giving us a few more days off."

I raise an eye brow in confusion. "Already?" He shrugs, "they said they didn't need us anywhere at the moment and to enjoy the break." I hum in response, "I'll let the boys know."