A Drunken Man

It was late into the night and even though it was a raging party that was custom for the arrival of far living guests, more generals more noble girls more offerings more crap. It felt like there was a party every fucking day and I was so sick of it. I said I was sore from training and faked a stomach issue.
Mother, never really having a taste for parties was in her room spinning more wool for her tapestry with an army of older maids, including Mata Hari's mother Nona, who all had an obvious distaste for such parties where things were known to get out of hand.

I went out that night.
I got drunk that night.
I went with Alex and some of the other Olypians. We drank and talked and bashed everyone who wasn't us.
We acted like drunken fools who owned the world, because we did.

I needed to get the thought of war out of my head. I'd been out all day, attending fathers speech at the camp, training, which was a ton more vigorous with the the threat of the Persian Messangers still fresh in fathers mind. We even went to the Olympics but I couldn't concentrate on the events with the thought of the now dead messengers still looming. I knew father felt the same but it is was his job to smile and not worry his subject. I admire him so much, I hope that I can be that grate too.

I have been working so hard in stratagising for the war. Father is proud of me for stepping up. These Persians are strong and numerous. They have already taken most of the western front and had its eyes set on the Mediterranean. I have decided not to go off though. I can't leave Hari.
I see how stressed mother gets when he leaves for war. She's always pail and eats very little.
I don't want Hari to worry...

She is so bright now. I never noticed how I impacted her.
She smiles so much now, she's even wearing her hair differently, wearing it out of her face more, showing that gorgeous face.
Now that I think about it, before she was quiet and didn't like to talk to others. She was always with her mother, Nona.
Now shes vibrant around the palace and happy.

She needs me here I thought.

Yea right! A voice in the back of my mind scoffed. I can't lie to myself..

Maybe I'm just scared of war...

Going down to the camp and seeing the soldiers and hearing there stories scared me.

They LIKED it.

A beautiful death.

They called it a beautiful death.

A Spartan death.

It scared the hell out of me.

"Everytime I go out there I get filled with excitement because I know that one man down there...one, Is strong enough to kill me and bring me eternal glory...if I don't kill him first..." We had just arrived at the tents where the worriers were stationed. My father likes to come and talk to the soldiers personally, find out what they need and how they feel about the war. it raises moral. These men were war professionals. They were raised to be worriers...that was their job. I've always been a good fighter..the top of my classes and admittedly a bit of a show off. These men were ready to die for honor and glory and my sense of logic held me back.
The only way to be with Hari was to risk my life in war. Even than what would I do when I got out? Avoid marriage forever and quietly fuck Hari on the low? What if I want kids later?..I need a fucking drink...

I knocked back drinks like it was no body's business, everyone was happy to buy me drinks even though I could afford my own. Seeing the prince come undone must have been pretty amusing to the farmers and merchants inside the bar.
I licked my lips of the sticky wine and held my cup up for more.

"Take it easy Harry" Alex laughed slapping me on the back. I gave him an annoyed glare and pushed him harder than I meant to.
"Calm down man I'm your friend!" He laughed throwing his hands up in surrender.