Chapter 48

~Akaashi~

The drive to Bokuto's is silent. Akaashi can feel the boy glance at him but he keeps his eyes on the road, needing a moment to collect his thoughts. Figure out what he wants to say. How he wants to proceed.

He really wants to ignore the fact Bokuto pushed him. Thinking about it hurts his heart. Scares him. Makes him grip the wheel tighter as he drives down the street. Eventually, he could sense Bokuto stopped looking at him and one glance showed him looking down at his hands in his lap.

He hated this. Never could he have predicted things would turn out like this.

By the time they pulled into Bokuto's driveway, Akaashi hadn't really figured out what he wanted to do or say yet. Even as he parked and switched the car off, sending everything into a deafening, almost unbearable silence. Akaashi glances at Bokuto who doesn't meet his gaze, just stays staring straight ahead. Akaashi sighs and hops out of the car.

He grabs Bokuto's bag from the back, sliding it across his shoulder before walking and opening the passenger side door. Bokuto looks at him finally clearly feeling guilty but Akaashi can also tell he's still mad and frustrated. He gets it though.

They don't say anything. Akaashi just lends his hand, Bokuto looking at it for a couple seconds before taking it and letting Akaashi help him inside. He can tell the pain in Bokuto's knee has started to really settle and become more prominent as he is now barely able to put any pressure on it, leaning his weight on Akaashi to help him into the house and to the kitchen where he sets him on a chair at the table.

The house is empty, Bokuto's parents likely at work, so everything is still and quiet. Akaashi drops Bokuto's bag by him and watches him begin to unlace his shoes.

"You hungry?" He asks quietly although in the tense silence between them, it feels as if he yelled. Bokuto freezes and looks at him hesitantly. Akaashi meets the gaze and sees Bokuto nod slightly. Without another word, he goes to the fridge where he sees some leftover stir fry.

They don't say a word while Akaashi heats Bokuto up some food. Bokuto mutters a small thanks when the plate is placed in front of him. Then it's silent: save for the sound of running water as Akaashi does the dishes and the occasional sound of silverware against a plate.

The quiet gives Akaashi more time to think. Both of them time to think, but Akaashi still doesn't know what to do. He loves Bokuto more than anything. And the last thing he wants is to be afraid of him.

He's not afraid of him... he's just...

Akaashi is brought out of his head by the sound of a chair moving and then Bokuto limping over to him. Akaashi doesn't look up at him as he falls in next to him. Doesn't say anything as Bokuto gently, very gently, takes the sponge and cup from Akaashi's hands. Akaashi lets him take over, stepping out of the way and drying his hands before simply standing by him, leaning back against the counter.

Akaashi only looks up at Bokuto when the sound of running water stops. When he looks, Bokuto is drying his hands until he hesitantly meets Akaashi's eyes. They stare at each other for a moment, both a little unsure how things got so bad.

After a couple seconds of just...looking, Akaashi pushes himself from the counter, offering Bokuto a hand again. A hand he softly takes, letting Akaashi help him again, up the stairs and to his room.

He takes a seat on the bed, stretching out his knee and wincing at the pain that shoots through up to his hip while Akaashi disappears for a second, returning with a cold pack and some other medical stuff: like Advil and a glass of water, both of which Bokuto takes gratefully. He downs the pills and water while Akaashi carefully takes a look at the boy's knee, seeing it's a little swollen and stiff. Definitely nothing serious but either way, Bokuto should have been resting the second it started to feel off.