Chapter 44

~Oikawa~

"Shit." Oikawa curses as his body falls to the ice, messing up the jump yet again. He grits his teeth, clenching his fist and resisting the urge to punch the ice. He's frustrated.

After a fight broke out between him and his dad at dinner Oikawa didn't want to be anywhere near him. He was tired of the yelling, homophobic comments, his mom literally doing nothing but watching. It was all so fucking frustrating.

He pushes himself to his feet and takes a deep breath, heart pounding and limbs tired.

He left through his bedroom window at least an hour ago although I felt like more. Even though his friends have said countless times in the past to just call them if he needed an escape, he didn't. He was annoyed and needed a stress reliever.

Oikawa takes off down the ice again, building up speed as he glides across the ice then pushing himself into the air, forcing his body to spin. He doesn't finish the spin, skates hitting the ice too soon and at an angle that sends him crashing down onto the ice.

"Dammit!" This time he does punch the ice. Not hard enough to cause damage, but hard enough to sting. He'd been trying to master the same jump this whole time, being unsuccessful. Dammit.

"You're going to seriously hurt yourself at this rate." A voice suddenly breaks the silence of the rink, drawing Oikawa's gaze to, of course, Iwaizumi, who is walking up to the wall of the rink. Oikawa sighs and pushes himself back up.

"How long have you been here." His annoyance is clear in his voice as he tries to calm his heart and even his breathing, eyes turning away from the boy.

"Long enough to see you wipe out a ton," Iwaizumi says with a smirk and Oikawa rolls his eyes.

"I'm really not in the mood." He stretches a little, clearly preparing to attempt the jump again. Iwaizumi doesn't respond, but Oikawa hears the gate open and another set of skates join the ice. Oikawa huffs a breath of annoyance before the boy skids to a stop in front of him.

"You're not going to get the jump." Oikawa glares and crosses his arms.

"Fuck you." Iwaizumi rolls his eyes and grabs Oikawa's arm when the boy tries to skate away and try the jump again. "Hey!"

"You're exhausted. You don't have the strength to jump high enough and if you keep going you are just going to become so exhausted you hurt yourself." Oikawa pouts a little because he's right. As much as he wishes he could deny it, Iwaizumi is right. "You need a break." Iwaizumi skates off backward toward the other end of the rink. Oikawa just watches him as steps off the ice and disappears into a closet.

Oikawa rolls his eyes again and decides to ignore the boy, taking off down the rink and building up speed before pushing off and into the air. He meets the same fate though, body too exhausted and unable to make the full turn, sending him tumbling to the ice, body aching as it hits the cold hard surface. He groans, in both frustration and pain, letting himself just fully lay on the ice, back pressed against the ice and slowly getting damp as it melts from the heat of his body.

Suddenly Iwaizumi is by his side, looking down at him, unimpressed. "I told you." Oikawa groans and sits up, looking at Iwaizumi who has two hockey sticks in his hand. He eyes them as he stands up. "You need a break." Oikawa sighs, taking the stick handed to him.

"How is this supposed to help?" Iwaizumi rolls his eyes and starts skating backward again.

"Will you just trust me?" Oikawa contemplates that before sighing and following Iwaizumi over to a net he set up. Oikawa stops a few feet facing Iwa, who is standing in front of the net, looking at him skeptically as he pulls a puck out of his back pocket. He then throws the puck to the ice, having it slide over to Oikawa who stops it with the stick. Oikawa clicks his tongue, looking from the puck to Iwaizumi. "Let's see if you can actually do well this time." Oikawa glares at the challenge before smirking and backing up with the puck.