Chapter 47

~Akaashi~

They weren't figuring it out.

The most Bokuto had done was acknowledge that something was going on and that he wasn't okay.

But that's it.

He still pushed Akaashi away. Denied any help he offered. Brushed off his worried questions. And it was fucking infuriating.

"I honestly don't even know what to do at this point." Oikawa and Suga give him a sympathetic look.

"He really didn't say anything last night?" Akaashi sighs and looks down at the tea he had in his hand: Suga had made some the second he walked in the door. His stress and anxiety very obvious.

"No. The most he did was stop claiming he was fine. Which I guess is progress but still I doubt that will last." Oikawa frowns. "At this rate, I may not be at the sleepover.

"That's okay, you know? Everyone would understand. This takes priority over some dumb sleepover." Akaashi gives Suga a grateful smile.

"Thanks. I mean maybe things will be resolved tonight? I'm going to pick him up from practice and plan to talk with his teammates. Maybe they know something."

"Do you think whatever's going on is related to volleyball?" Akaashi shrugs.

"I mean last night he was like a half an hour late. It's not unusual for him to be a little late but half an hour is pretty long. He also just has seemed exhausted. I mean practice is a place to start." Suga gently rubs his back while Oikawa gives a sympathetic smile.

"Hey, you know what you need?" Suga comments from his side, drawing their eyes. "Let's go to the rink."

"We don't have practice."

"So?" Akaashi shrugs to that. "It will do you some good, especially since the hockey team won't be there." Oikawa pouts a little which makes Suga laugh. "You'll see him tomorrow bitch now come on, let's grab your shit and get going." Akaashi sighs and smiles.

This will be good for them. Right?

~~~

Akaashi panted, out of breath as he leaned over his knees.

He'd maybe been pushing himself a little harder than he should have, but he needed a distraction from the gnawing anxiety buried deep in his chest.

Except he couldn't shake the fear. The stress. The worry. So he kept pushing. More and more praying the sharp sound of ice against the cold metal blades would be enough to drown out his thoughts.

It wasn't though.

"You good Keiji?" Suga skids to a stop in front of him, also a little out of breath but nowhere close to Akaashi.

Akaashi doesn't even have the breath to answer. Just gives a thumbs up before forcing himself to stand straight, trying to take deep breaths which is proving to be difficult due to the chilled air clinging to their bodies and filling their lungs.

"We've been going at it for a while, maybe we should take a break?" Suga suggests sweetly but Akaashi shakes his head. Stopping means thinking. Worrying. Instead, he takes another deep breath, trying to slow his heart.

"What time is it?" He asks and Suga turns around to face Oikawa who is at the other end of the rink, leaning against the wall typing away on his phone.

"Tōru! Time!" Suga shouts and Oikawa looks up.

"4:23!" Akaashi groans and Suga turns back to him.

"You can't practice until Bokuto's practice is over." Akaashi knows that. But still...