✔ Thirty-ninth Chapter

"Um.."

"Ah –"

We looked at each other and that broke the ice.

"Haha, you first," he said.

I blushed with how his eyes watch me. "Ah, well," I smiled with a sigh. "What made you ask me out? Biglaan pa."

"I've been living in the mansion for months now and even though those months are not nearly enough to make up the years I wasn't with you, I want to spend some time alone with just the two of us. I want to get to know you better," he gave me a shy smile.

I bit my lower lip. So he can be adorable.

"Lance – I mean, Sean, you don't have to do this." I looked around to emphasize my point. We are having a dinner date in this Italian restaurant and I'm currently having Spaghetti, while he is having Fettuccine.

"Hey, I wanted this too." His right hand found my left hand. His gray eyes were meeting my hazel-brown eyes. "I'm your fiancé remember? I want to get to know my bride-to-be. We haven't even had a full conversation ever since I came back because I was with Sian all the time. I'm –"

"Oh no, please don't apologize about that," I cut him off. "I'm happy that you and Dear are spending time together, catching up what you two had been missing for more than a decade."

He tightened his hand over mine. "Thank you."

I returned his holding on me. "You're very welcome, La – Sean."

He chuckled. "You can call me Lance, Zie. I don't really mind."

I smiled. "Thanks."

"No problem." And we ended up in silence again. Nagkasalubong ulit ang aming mga mata at natawa ulit kami. By now, he's not holding my hand anymore. "I really want to work what we should have, Zie. What kind of fiancé am I when I spend more of my time with my sister than to my bride-to-be?"

"Lance, listen, kung anong meron tayo, makakapaghintay iyon. I can wait because I know how your sister longed for you, how Ninong ached for his son, how the two of them missed you so much, and that's why I understand."

But what I don't understand though is why am I feeling this way? I should be happy now that my fiancé is taking his time to get to know me, right? I should feel touched... yet, why am I feeling like something is missing? Like something is not right? Like I'm cheating or something?

"Hey, are you okay? Kumunot-noo ka bigla." Nag-aalala niyang tanong.

"What? Huh? Oh, yeah, okay lang ako. Naiisip ko lang kasi yung about sa trabaho. Sorry ha?"

Umiling siya. "Don't be. I understand. Maybe this is not really a good time to talk about us," he said and we laughed. "Hey, I'm serious here. We'll take this slow, okay? We're not in a rush hour so you can take all the time you need to fix what you have to fix. And if you need anything, just say it and I'll help you, besides the fact that I'm already supporting you."

He winked.

"Ha-ha. Hindi mo ako madadaan sa pakindat-kindat, Lance," I laughed. "But thank you though, thanks for understanding."

"You're welcome," he smiled and stared at me. "I want to work this out, Zie. I am serious about you. I am serious about us."

-x-

"ANG HIRAP NAMAN IH!" sigaw ko. "ANG SAKIT-SAKIT NA!"