55

Her eyes quickly darted across the room, noticing the matching pink and silver streamers covering the room, fairy lights hanging from each wall. This had been the last thing she had expected when driving with Joe. But she knew not to underestimate him.

A gasp left her lips as all her friends came rushing towards her, engulfing her in endless hugs. Emmie happily embraced each one of them, her jaw dropping once more when her eyes landed on the familiar blonde she hadn't seen in months.

"There's my birthday girl!" Thea cheered, holding her arms out as they pulled each other closer. Emmie couldn't hide the grin on her face as she struggled to process what was happening.

"I- What? You're here?" She stumbled over her words, grasping her friend that little bit tighter. She let out a nervous laugh as they stepped back, smiling at each other.

"Of course I am." Thea laughed, "You think I'd miss seeing my favourite person on her birthday? No chance."

Emmie shook her head in disbelief, catching Joe's glance, as he stood back smiling proudly. She instantly knew he was somehow involved, but for now she would stay focused on spending time with her friends. She would ask him later.

She was pulled into a chorus of happy birthdays, her heart filling with warmth as she felt complete surrounded by everyone she loved. She wasn't even upset that Joe hadn't listened to her wishes of staying home. He had gone all out for her, and she was incredibly grateful.

"Okay, I think our girl needs a drink!" Thea announced, reaching for Emmie's hand as the other girls cheered behind her. She laughed with them, following Thea's footsteps into the kitchen where she noticed many options of liquids lying around on the island.

Emmie glanced at Thea. She watched her sway around the room as she fumbled over a bluetooth speaker, connecting her playlist within a few small taps, music blasting out in seconds. 

"Have you been drinking already?" She couldn't help but ask.

Thea raised an eyebrow, but then let out an over exaggerated laugh as she leant against Emmie's shoulder.

"Only a little." She giggled, catching the smiles of Dani and Priyanka who just smirked at her.

"Okay maybe I had a few." Thea sighed in defeat, "But what's a party without a little fun, right?"

Emmie shook her head with a smile. She followed the blonde around the kitchen as she began to fill up a glass with many colourful liquids that Emmie had soon lost count of.

Thea handed her the drink with a grin, as they hopped up on the barstools.

"I still can't believe you're here." Emmie laughed, "I haven't seen you in months."

Thea gave her a smirk.

"And I hear you've been a busy girl." She giggled, "You and Joe, huh? It finally happened."

Emmie let out a breathless laugh, feeling shy at the thought of talking about her relationship.

"Yeah.." She smiled, "Why do I have a feeling you already knew?"

Thea gave her a mischievous grin, taking a long sip of her drink before she finally replied.

"Because he mentioned it to me first." She nodded. "He wanted to make sure you definitely felt the same way."

"And he expected you to know?" Emmie asked.

Thea scoffed in response, glancing at Dani and Priyanka, who both let out a small laugh.

"And I was right, wasn't I?" She quizzed, the amused look never leaving her face. "I've seen the way you two look at each other. Trust me, that's not nothing."