3

Since meeting Joe outside the all-too familiar room, it was no surprise that it wouldn't be the last time Emmie would see him. She had spotted him at least three times over the weekend, forming some sort of friendship. Each time they would have a quick conversation before heading their separate ways. Most of the time, it would be Joe checking up on her, so of course she made the effort to keep the conversation going. 

She thought it was sweet how he took the time to make sure she was okay. They barely knew each other. He could ignore her if he really wanted to. But each time they passed, his lips would curl into a wide grin, making her smile just as much.

However, today was one of those days Emmie was praying he wouldn't be waiting to greet her. Today was one of those days where she definitely didn't have the energy to be around anyone but herself.

Grief hit her in waves. Some days she would be completely  fine. Obviously it was completely new without having her best friend beside her at all times. That was something she would never properly never get used to. But some days she was able to handle her emotions. Some days she had the motivation to get out of bed and make the most of her day. It was a rare occasion, but it did happen.

Today was not one of those days. Today was a day where Emmie wanted to bury herself beneath the sheets and not resurface. At one point, she debated it. But she knew better than to fall into her bad habits. So she forced herself to find better ways to spend her time.

So she did the only thing she could think of. She pulled an old shirt over her head, paired it with some worn out jeans, and made her way back down to the music room.

Emmie tried not to think of Caleb too much. It got more difficult, the more she held back her emotions. But she managed it. She knew he wouldn't want her to be up in her head too much, so she used music as a distraction.

When she reached the building, Emmie keep her head down, not wanting to socialise with anyone if she didn't have to. She quietly greeted Briar, rushing past her as she hurried down the hall.

And of course, who was stood there?

The one and only Joe Jonas.

"You're in a hurry today." She heard a small laugh. Emmie pressed her lips together, pulling them into a tight smile as she looked up at him.

His brown eyes meet her green ones.

"Sorry." She whispered, trying to excuse herself, walking past him. She didn't get very far as he quickly stops her. His hand resting on her shoulder, pulling her back.

Their eyes meet again.

"Hey, you okay?" Joe asks softly. Emmie looked elsewhere for a moment, avoiding eye contact. She nodded slightly, trying to convince him with the best smile she could manage. She didn't want to break down there and then so she refused to look at him.

When she finally glanced back up at him, worry filled his face.

"I'm fine." Emmie told him simply. "Like you said, I'm just in a hurry."

Joe nodded hesitantly, still not convinced. She gave him one more small smile before walking past him, into the music room. she shut the door behind her, drowning out any background noise.

Emmie sat in silence for a moment. She had no idea why she had come here in the first place. She knew it was her safe space, but right now, it felt the complete opposite.

Her eyes wander around the room, remembering all those times she had spent in there with Caleb. She could remember when they were younger, fresh out of middle school. He had brought her after class and they would spent hours there, taking turns to play each other songs on the piano.