33

Nick's birthday was the next to come along. Emmie was unsure whether there would be a celebration or not, considering the three brothers had their ups and downs within their relationship. So when she got the invite from Danielle and Kevin, suggesting she spend time with the rest of their family, she was more than intrigued.

Of course she knew the others would be there, which excited her a little. She had seen Joe many times since he had surprised her, and then admitted his feelings, and each time she would get butterflies, knowing how he felt about her, so it was no doubt that she would feel the same, this time around.

She smiled at her reflection, as she got herself ready in front of the bathroom mirror. She combed through the large curls that fell through her blonde hair, trying not to look too put together, but not wanting to look messy either. For some reason, she wanted to look for Joe, although any other time she wouldn't have cared, But there was something about knowing that he liked her, that made her want to make more of an effort.

For the past few weeks, she had been living in a completely blissful state. Saying goodbye to Caleb, had really lifted a weight off her shoulders that she never knew was there. The atmosphere had felt more peaceful, lighter than normal. She could finally spend each day, without the constant guilt in the back of her mind.

And as for Joe, she couldn't take her mind off him. Since knowing how he felt, it was as if he was always there, in the back of her mind. And she couldn't help but smile every time she thought about him.

•.•.•.•.•

Danielle greeted her at the door, pulling her into a warm hug before they both walked inside. The lights had been dimmed, only the spotlights on in the kitchen, creating a warm glow across the room. Some unknown playlist in the background of the chatter. Emmie smiled as she noticed Nick and Priyanka seated at the island, but no sign of the other boys.

"They're grabbing drinks." Dani muttered to Emmie with a smile. She nodded, wandering over to Nick where she gave him a small hug.

"Happy birthday." She whispered, smiling at him as she pulled away. Nick thanked her with a smile, tapping her shoulder in appreciation.

She seats herself between Priyanka and Dani, whilst Priyanka explains how happy she is to see everyone together again. She gives Emmie a hug, complimenting her on her outfit.

In the background, Joe and Kevin quietly make their way back into the room, a smile forming on Joe's face once he noticed the familiar blonde. He slowly creeps up behind her, careful with the drinks he held in his hands. As he stands behind her, he places the glasses down on the side, quickly wrapping his arms over her, leaning on her shoulder with a grin.

"Hi." He sang, his voice laced with excitement.

"Hey." Emmie smiled back, trying to ignore the very little space between them. Joe stood up, but kept an arm wrapped around her shoulder, leaning forward again to reach for his drink. As he began to step back, ready to take a sip, Emmie reach her arm out holding on him as she quickly too her own sip from his glass. She quickly cringed when she felt the strong burn of alcohol slide down her throat.

Joe raised his eyebrows, before shaking his head with a laugh.

"Not a fan, huh?" He chuckled, nodding at his drink, in which she quickly shook her head.

"Too strong." She mumbled, pulling a face at him.

As the night progressed, Emmie watched as Joe and Kevin continued to throw back drink after drink, in a very hyper manner. They were cracking jokes every few minutes, in a fit of giggles over nothing in particular, occasionally wrestling each other. The girls had a glass of wine in their hands, but were nowhere near as drunk as their boys.